Am new to this

D
Yeah it sucked but it was stress from shipping the mail made them a day late I only have 5 left but it looks like there going to be fun raiseing and learning about them

Did you order from a hatchery? If so and that many arrived dead, they should send you replacements or offer a refund. Most reputable hatcheries will if you report the loss right away.

Welcome to BYC, you need to keep an eye on them, feed them only Chick starter and make sure they have lots of fresh water, I put the light in at one end, that way it gives them plenty of room to move out of it if they get to hot, and as I brood mine in the house I only us a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb not a brooder light especially in this kind of heat, and have yet to have a pasty but issue since changing bulbs

Welcome to BYC, you need to keep an eye on them, feed them only Chick starter and make sure they have lots of fresh water, I put the light in at one end, that way it gives them plenty of room to move out of it if they get to hot, and as I brood mine in the house I only us a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb not a brooder light especially in this kind of heat, and have yet to have a pasty but issue since changing bulbs
Hi I am watching them like crazy lol and am useing the Same bulb as you unless it gets to cold I numb up to a 85w one

you can always ask them to FedEx as they now ship FED ex and if anything they are always early. But having stuff set up and save a chick in the water will really help. when they are shipped USPS track it and if you need to intercept close to you, that's what we had to do to get the replacements here fast enough as they only have 2 days to get to you with the egg yolk as they are a day old when shipped. We ended up driving 75 miles to pick them up so we had water with save a chick in it before we left to intercept them and got all of them home safely.

I was wonder what rolled otas or corn meal I can use for baby chickens I hear it helps with pasty butt???
Chick started and maybe grit. Keep the dust level low if possible. Don't over-heat them. If they lay around panting, you need to make adjustment.

I'm not sure on this, but I heard dampening their food can lessen the chance of pasty butt. (You'd have to research to be sure.)

Back
Top Bottom