Amateur Hour Coop Raising

Quinstar

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Indiana
So, my husband and I started building our coop about 2 weeks ago and I thought I'd share our progress as well as get any tips/tricks/advice that you all had to offer since we are still not to far to make any changes that might be needed. The coop is 8'x8' with 6' on the high side and 4' on the low. We will add a 16'x8' enclosed run after the coop is complete. Hoping to get the coop functional by this weekend. We are totally flying by the seat of our pants on this so please feel free to offer any constructive criticism that you might have. We basically have no clue what we're doing, but it's amazing what you can learn from Google.
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Quick coop update. We got it completely functional yesterday. It's definitely not pretty to look at right now. It still need shingles, siding, trim, and a run.... but I'm just happy to have the girls and Carl out of the house. They seem thrilled with it so far. Last night was their first night in it. When I opened the door this morning they all came running over to greet me. I think this is going to work out better than the giant carboard box they were in.

Hope you like!

Your chickens look very happy in their new home. Are you going to be adding hardware cloth to the inside of the windows?

Your chickens look very happy in their new home. Are you going to be adding hardware cloth to the inside of the windows?

Yes! We still aren't done, but it's secure enough for the chickens to sleep in it at night now with the windows closed. We have 1/2 in hardware cloth over the vents on the underside of the roof and will be covering the inside of the windows as well as doing an attached 8x16 run and the underside of the coop. We are burying the hardware cloth 12 in down to prevent entry of digging animals. Trying to make it as secure as possible so that we can be gone for a few days at a time and not have to worry about them.

Back
Top Bottom