Amazing behavior, smart chickens

The bird I have that I get the maddest at is smart. She's a GLW named Daisy, but I've nicknamed her b*tchy-poo, because she's such a bully to the others, especially my newbies. I've shut her out of the run before for bullying my little girls, and after pacing back and forth trying to figure out how to get back in for a minute or so, she'll go all the way around our 36 ft. long garage/workshop AND our lean-to junk/storage area to sneak in the back door of the run. She's got evil smarts.
tongue.png

Im not sure of how smart they are but I do know how compassionate they are. I had a little BO that was shipped to me all the rest of her hatchmates died in route she was the only one that made it here. I was frantic to find her some friends. The night I went to pick up 5 more for her she was so weak from the trip that I knew she wouldnt make it. In the morning when I went in to check them all of the chickies were laying in a circle around her with a little BA laying next to her . She had passed. After I took her out it was business as usual.

My BO's are rather infantile fools. That said...I prefer fools. Those smart chickens get on my nerves. Smart chickens get into everything. BO's...just smart enough to come and get me and let me know they need something.

I have an EE hen that is convinced she is the next Houdini. She is very small and light and an excellent flyer. The birds have an enclosed run that, when the door is opened, creates a large open run. Filet (or Puffy Cheeks as we call her) seems to think that the run is not big enough and will constantly escape by flying over the fence at the lowest point. I considered clipping a wing to prevent this but she can also squeeze under the door to get out as the enclosed run has a lip on it. Then my dad figured we could put a flower pot in front of the gap and clip her wing, but as he went to catch her on another escape run she CLIMBED straight up four feet of fence using her wings for stabilization. We have admitted defeat and let her come and go as she pleases. On the other end of the intelligence scale is her best friend and rooster, who crows and frets when she gets out because he can't defend her from his nemesis, the dog yard fence. He has yet to figure out any way to get to her.
P.S. They snuggle at night with her head tucked under his wing and her face on his back.
P.P.S. I think she is trying to tunnel her way out of the enclosed run.

Back
Top Bottom