Amazing Mother

some are just super good moms, my Rhode Island red broody stayed for 3 months in the brooder at night with hers but was out with the Flock and laying again even though at night she bedded down with them until she finally decided to take them to the coop at night to roost, sadly the next day Neighbors dog that was running loose got through as someone had cut my back fence to steal eggs and I lost her

Mother hen and chicks is the best of chicken TV imo. 14 weeks is far above average ime.
I used to have a tiny bantam hen (Weighed about one pound soaking wet) named 'Chi Chi' (After the alcoholic beverage that's similar to a pina colada but uses vodka instead of rum). Chi Chi loved to brood, absolutely loved it; but after three weeks she'd ween them. I always felt that was much too soon to ween, but I guess if you don't have the wingspan to tuck eight 3-week olds under, you gotta ween 'em. Fortunately for the chicks, their daddy 'Yahoo' (because he couldn't be bothered with cock-a-doooodle-doo, he simply yelled "Yahoo") would tuck them under his wings at night and in the daytime would tidbit for them too. 14 weeks is a very long time for her to still be mothering; what a good mommy.

some are just super good moms, my Rhode Island red broody stayed for 3 months in the brooder at night with hers but was out with the Flock and laying again even though at night she bedded down with them until she finally decided to take them to the coop at night to roost, sadly the next day Neighbors dog that was running loose got through as someone had cut my back fence to steal eggs and I lost her

Oh, how sad! She sounds wonderful!

I used to have a tiny bantam hen (Weighed about one pound soaking wet) named 'Chi Chi' (After the alcoholic beverage that's similar to a pina colada but uses vodka instead of rum). Chi Chi loved to brood, absolutely loved it; but after three weeks she'd ween them. I always felt that was much too soon to ween, but I guess if you don't have the wingspan to tuck eight 3-week olds under, you gotta ween 'em. Fortunately for the chicks, their daddy 'Yahoo' (because he couldn't be bothered with cock-a-doooodle-doo, he simply yelled "Yahoo") would tuck them under his wings at night and in the daytime would tidbit for them too. 14 weeks is a very long time for her to still be mothering; what a good mommy.

That’s too cute. I have a friend whose silky raises the chicks, too. I watched them once when she was out of town and it was hilariously cute how the biggest chick slept on top of her.

Back
Top Bottom