Amazing story...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookychick, Apr 17, 2009.

1. spookychick

spookychick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to share this...

This past weekend I had a clutch of BC Marans eggs hatch. After a couple of days, there were two that still hadn't pipped, so I did what I usually do and had a little peek to see what was what. Neither were ready to hatch though, so I wrapped the eggs in damp wash cloths, and moved them from my Sportsman to a Hova where I could keep a close eye on them.

Sadly, after several hours they were both still, showing no signs of respiration, and were unresponsive to touch. [​IMG] At this point I left the top askew on the Hova, intending to go back to clean it up and throw out the eggs later. It's been a busy week, and I didn't get around to tossing out the eggs as soon as I would have. Temp in the Hova was at 72 degrees, humidity gone...

You might be guessing where this is headed.

Yesterday, while rushing around doing other things, I realized I still hadn't dealt with the failed eggs. Knowing I wouldn't have time to properly clean up the Hova until Saturday, I just closed the lid so it wouldn't start to stink up the place.

Then last night I hear peeps! What? I figure I've gone hatch happy or something. No way could I be hearing what I'm hearing.

But sure enough... I check the Hova, and one of the babies is struggling inside its shell! I quickly assisted the poor little thing, and rushed it to the brooder for food and water. I'm happy to report my miracle baby is doing just fine this morning. [​IMG]

Now I'm going to be paranoid to ever throw an egg out again!

2. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Wow! [​IMG] Thats awesome! Is the other chick alive? How many days were they there?

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    That is wonderful! That's one hardy little fella you got there. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. I needed to hear something good today.

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    That's one tough little chickie! Wow!

5. spookychick

spookychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I completely removed the other failed hatchling from its shell just to be sure, and it is definitely dead.

Last night was day 24, so it wasn't really that late - the others just hatched early.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Awesome!!!

7. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Where's that picture of your miracle baby?! [​IMG]

8. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    that is awesome. This baby needs a special name. Maybe Lazarus?

9. alicat4

alicat4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    That just shows to go ya...it doesn't matter how hard we work to keep the temp perfect and the humidity perfect, some are just going to make it and some just aren't. I can quit beating myself up! Congratulations on your little tuffie!

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

thats such a happy story. I'm very glad for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by