Amazon carry sand or soil for quail bathing?

Quail just love dust baths - Ours love dry earth from the garden, we've also used dry builders sand, and we also use diatomaceous earth. Not everyone will agree with what we do though. Our adult quail live outside & I’d probably meet their dustbathing needs differently if they were inside our house. Depending on whether you keep them inside or outside & what size enclosure & ventilation they have - you might want to think about how much dust they’ll create in the environment you are keeping them in as to what suits you & them best.

You might want to give people a clue where in the world you are if you want recommendations for where to purchase something suitable from.

Last edited:
You can buy chinchilla sand, I think maybe tiny pet is a brand available that I’ve seen. Be sure it isn’t chinchilla dust, you want sand. You can also order natural top soil that doesn’t have fertilizer in it. You can have Home Depot or Lowe’s ship you sand, but it will be pricey. If you can manage it, go to a hardware store and buy sand. When I lived in Brooklyn my local hardware store had sand, but kept it in the basement and you had to ask for it. Space is limited on the sales floor in the city.

Quail just love dust baths - Ours love dry earth from the garden, we've also used dry builders sand, and we also use diatomaceous earth. Not everyone will agree with what we do though. Our adult quail live outside & I’d probably meet their dustbathing needs differently if they were inside our house. Depending on whether you keep them inside or outside & what size enclosure & ventilation they have - you might want to think about how much dust they’ll create in the environment you are keeping them in as to what suits you & them best.

You might want to give people a clue where in the world you are if you want recommendations for where to purchase something suitable from.

I live in an apartment in NYC, USA. They stay in my bedroom. Being that sand might get a little dusty, perhaps u can recommend soil I could purchase over the internet.

I live in an apartment in NYC, USA. They stay in my bedroom. Being that sand might get a little dusty, perhaps u can recommend soil I could purchase over the internet.

With them being in your bedroom you really want to keep the dust down for your health - so I would completely avoid diatomaceous earth or the very fine sands such as play sand with light particles. They’ll get in the air & you’ll all breathe them in. You need a heavy sand like builders sand or maybe a well draining organic seed compost - (so no additives such as plant feed & that will be quite sandy /gritty). We have a handful of indoor quail at the moment so I oven baked some builders sand for them - (sterilises it and gets the moisture out) & the dust isn’t too bad.

I’m afraid I’m thousands of miles away so I’m not the best to recommend - but I’m sure someone else will be able to help! I know I can get seed compost via Amazon in the UK.... have a google? just make sure it is free from plant food & additives ect... but you won’t need a huge sackful & it might be tricky to store....

Good old fashioned garden dirt is also great & free, and again microwaveable/oven-bakeable - Are you relying on deliveries? I’m wondering if maybe a friend or neighbour could just get you a small Tupperware full from their garden, or spent soil from a houseplant or window box? Do you know any plant lovers? All you need is a small quantity of spent soil.... have you got any dying houseplants or plants in need of repotting? Or maybe a greenfingered friend can help?

Last edited:
With them being in your bedroom you really want to keep the dust down for your health - so I would completely avoid diatomaceous earth or the very fine sands such as play sand with light particles. They’ll get in the air & you’ll all breathe them in. You need a heavy sand like builders sand or maybe a well draining organic seed compost - (so no additives such as plant feed & that will be quite sandy /gritty). We have a handful of indoor quail at the moment so I oven baked some builders sand for them - (sterilises it and gets the moisture out) & the dust isn’t too bad.

I’m afraid I’m thousands of miles away so I’m not the best to recommend - but I’m sure someone else will be able to help! I know I can get seed compost via Amazon in the UK.... have a google? just make sure it is free from plant food & additives ect... but you won’t need a huge sackful & it might be tricky to store....

Good old fashioned garden dirt is also great & free, and again microwaveable/oven-bakeable - Are you relying on deliveries? I’m wondering if maybe a friend or neighbour could just get you a small Tupperware full from their garden, or spent soil from a houseplant or window box? Do you know any plant lovers? All you need is a small quantity of spent soil.... have you got any dying houseplants or plants in need of repotting? Or maybe a greenfingered friend can help?
That's a great idea to use potting soil I'm not using. I actually have some but it didn't occur to me to use it, so I just ordered top soil from Amazon. U seem to be very resourceful. If u don't mind, I think I'm going to make u my go-to person when I need some good advice. 😉 Thanks.

Where online can I purchase inexpensive sand or soil specifically for quail sand bathing?
Here is a screen shot of the first and only one i used so far , it worked great for my button quail and my coturnix quail plus cheap and amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220-055051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-055051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 14
That's a great idea to use potting soil I'm not using. I actually have some but it didn't occur to me to use it, so I just ordered top soil from Amazon. U seem to be very resourceful. If u don't mind, I think I'm going to make u my go-to person when I need some good advice. 😉 Thanks.
Top soil sounds great - I hope it works well & just be sure if you use potting compost it doesn’t have additives or pearlite in it & that should be fine too! & If it gets too dusty don’t be afraid to try something else.
You are very welcome & the credit really belongs to byc - much of what I know I learned here - there are so many kind & knowledgeable people here!!

Back
Top Bottom