Ambassadors for the farm

Notice where hen with brood is roosting. They went on field trip for a couple hours then I released them to forage in yard to see if they might work their way back to barn. They did some powerful bug hunting in area centered on truck. Doors where left open for airing out. Pen was on top of bed hard cover and a couple chicks tried to get back to it. Hen preferred interior so that is where they went.
20170611_205243-jpg.1039591
You have a nice truck and that hen knows it. :barnie
I assume that this grouping has returned to the barn before when they are turned loose to forage?
Have fun with this one!
Scott

Another field day today and trying a new configuration. Instead of a mature male, a juvenile male pushing 11 weeks old will be used with a broody hen and chicks 5 days post-hatch. Birds will be run in parallel to a touch/display table focusing on aquatic insects and crayfish. Audience will be young with most no more than 3rd grade. As usual birds will be free-range and likely anchored on me. I could often use the confined rooster as the anchor.

Another field day today and trying a new configuration. Instead of a mature male, a juvenile male pushing 11 weeks old will be used with a broody hen and chicks 5 days post-hatch. Birds will be run in parallel to a touch/display table focusing on aquatic insects and crayfish. Audience will be young with most no more than 3rd grade. As usual birds will be free-range and likely anchored on me. I could often use the confined rooster as the anchor.

I am wondering about the male's age change, was aggression a problem?
Hope all goes well today!
Scott

Setup in county fair this morning. Aquatic critters in tubs.
20170803_094611.jpg

Ace in action.
20170803_094622.jpg

Blanca and 12 bitties were not released from cage this round because of a dog I considered to be a major risk. Owner and parent of owner did not see reason for concern.
20170803_094625.jpg

Blanca and brood interacting with kids.
20170803_100303.jpg

Aquatic critters getting some attention.
20170803_102147.jpg

Ride in truck on way home. Inside as chicks showing signs of heat stress.
20170803_125234.jpg

They got free-range time when we got home.

Last edited:
I am wondering about the male's age change, was aggression a problem?
Hope all goes well today!
Scott
I am not sure I am following you. No problems leading to change, rather trying something different because I have the resources to do so. Older birds at ready and any one of three could have been used on male side.

I have been doing this for more than eight years. Most recent linked in thread below. About 400 visited this event.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/st-louis-science-center-chicken-display.1252562/

Another event will in STL-MO tomorrow for a single group of kids. They will see mating and rooster indicating a nest site for hen to use. I have get nest site ready tonight. Birds will ride in cab of truck tomorrow to prevent heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom