Amber white chickens hybrid

remisophy

Songster
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
McMinnville, Oregon
Over the last two or three years I've lost three Amber white chickens to egg yolk peritonitis we just had to put down our third this Friday. They are bred for high egg production. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Has anyone else had this problem with this breed of bird?

Haven't done hatchery birds in many years but when we did the hybrid layers had laying issues after two years of age. It's rather common for those high production birds.

All high production hybrids are more susceptible to reproductive system ailments.
Did you open her up to confirm it was egg yolk peritonitis?
I assume she had a swollen belly full of fluid(ascites),
it can be caused by things other than peritonitis.

Hi
Yes she was opened up there her tummy was hard red and inflamed I tried to help her for two weeks until I got the correct diagnosis and knew she wasn't egg bound she was full of egg yolk and hard compacted food and egg yolk. There was no fluid to take out of her it was a hard Mass

Hi
Yes she was opened up there her tummy was hard red and inflamed I tried to help her for two weeks until I got the correct diagnosis and knew she wasn't egg bound she was full of egg yolk and hard compacted food and egg yolk. There was no fluid to take out of her it was a hard Mass
Good Job, Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom