Amberlinks/ Amber Stars

I have only had Amberlinks once, when I bought some pullets along with ISA Browns back in 2016. They were very friendly and sweet-natured and laid nearly daily. Unfortunately mine all began to die of reproductive problems beginning when they turned two years old, even younger than the ISA Browns who all survived until at least age 3. Those early deaths are the only reason i never got more Amberlinks.

I hope my response will give your thread a bump, because I am also curious to know the experiences of others. I would definitely consider Amberlinks again if their early deaths were an anomaly.

I have only had Amberlinks once, when I bought some pullets along with ISA Browns back in 2016. They were very friendly and sweet-natured and laid nearly daily. Unfortunately mine all began to die of reproductive problems beginning when they turned two years old, even younger than the ISA Browns who all survived until at least age 3. Those early deaths are the only reason i never got more Amberlinks.

I hope my response will give your thread a bump, because I am also curious to know the experiences of others. I would definitely consider Amberlinks again if their early deaths were an anomaly.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
I’ve seen some Amberlinks in a store several years ago. They had been there a while and starting to feather out some. They reminded me of the White Leghorns that I usually got back then.
I have tried a few (2 or 3) at a time Red Star/Golden Comets a few different times. Seems like I start loosing them at around a little over a year old and by the second year
is up they are either already gone or laying very poor quality eggs by that time.
I was hoping that the Amberlinks may have been a bit of an improvement but I guess not. When I had leghorns, usually 12-15 at a time, they would be longer lived as a whole but would still loose a bird or two around the year to two year points.
Now that we have some egg customers, it seems people want brown eggs.

Would you mind sharing some of the signs/symptoms of the "reproductive problems" that appeared before your Amberlink hens died, shortly after they turned two years old?

My amberlink hen is roughly 2.5 years old, and after losing her flockmate this past weekend (different breed, similar age), I'm trying to research as much as I can so that I'm better prepared for what may come.

Back
Top Bottom