Ambient temp in brooder (with plate)

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
So I have seen the temps and age charts for chicks. But these charts are usually about heat lamps and the temp or the brooder cage.
We are using a brooder plate. They are currently in a room that has an ambient temp of 70 degrees F +/-.
I want to move them to a room that is always between 52-55 F, no drafts. They will still have access to their brooder plate, but at what age would they be safe to be placed in this temp?
I am struggling to find info on the ideal ambient room temp when using a brooder plate for chicks.

So I have seen the temps and age charts for chicks. But these charts are usually about heat lamps and the temp or the brooder cage.
We are using a brooder plate. They are currently in a room that has an ambient temp of 70 degrees F +/-.
I want to move them to a room that is always between 52-55 F, no drafts. They will still have access to their brooder plate, but at what age would they be safe to be placed in this temp?
I am struggling to find info on the ideal ambient room temp when using a brooder plate for chicks.
How old are they?

As long as the plate does not specify needing a temperature range above 50F you should be fine. The cooler ambient temperatures are not harmful to the chicks, even very young chicks.
I contacted the brooder plate manufacturer directly, they get right back with me within 24 hours usually. They said while they prefer the plate to be used in environments in the upper 60s, the chicks will be perfectly fine.
We tried to put them down there last night and they threw a fit.
I have an unfinished room in a finished basement, perfectly dry. The temp in the room was 60. I built one of those Rural King "coops in a box" in that room and set in on about 5 layers on cardboard and tarp, then covered the "ground" with our typical bedding.
I think they did not like how "open" the area was.
We placed them all in the run portion and had the coop portion shut off... They would not clam down, panic ensued... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, the panicky chirps.
So we then just placed them all in the coop portion of the assembly, instead of the run portion. The coop space is still about 8 sq ft, and they are only three weeks old, so the space is fine. They calmed right down in the enclosed area.
Maybe too much too soon. I'll give them a few more weeks before trying that again.

I contacted the brooder plate manufacturer directly, they get right back with me within 24 hours usually. They said while they prefer the plate to be used in environments in the upper 60s, the chicks will be perfectly fine.
I have an unfinished room in a finished basement, perfectly dry. The temp in the room was 60. I built one of those Rural King "coops in a box" in that room and set in on about 5 layers on cardboard and tarp, then covered the "ground" with our typical bedding.
We placed them all in the run portion and had the coop portion shut off... They would not clam down, panic ensued... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, the panicky chirps.
So we then just placed them all in the coop portion of the assembly, instead of the run portion. The coop space is still about 8 sq ft, and they are only three weeks old, so the space is fine. They calmed right down in the enclosed area.
Maybe too much too soon. I'll give them a few more weeks before trying that again.
Try opening the run part to them during the day once they’ve had a couple days to adjust to the new coop section. Let them investigate it on their own with the option to “flee” back to the coop part they are used to.

They will almost always hate change, so I would wait at least 20 minutes before deciding something new is actually a problem and not just them disliking change.

Your story cracked me up, I could see it clearly....chicks/chickens hate change so much, it's one of the reasons I love them because I'm the same way!

Try opening the run part to them during the day once they’ve had a couple days to adjust to the new coop section. Let them investigate it on their own with the option to “flee” back to the coop part they are used to.

They will almost always hate change, so I would wait at least 20 minutes before deciding something new is actually a problem and not just them disliking change.
The wife was down with them for an hour or two and they weren't having it.
The coop is a couple feet above the floor, the ramp that came with it was a bit steep, so I added "rungs" to the ramp for grip.
They are still pretty small, kind of worried about them falling off the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom