Ambient temperature for baby chicks

Sounds good! I look forward to seeing your coop when it's done:)

LOL Welcome to the world of backyard chickens! Oh yes...worrying about chicks or eggs in the mail is very normal! Worrying over an incubator wondering how a hatch is going to go - normal! Watching chickens all day long - normal!
Your family looking at you like you've lost your mind when you tell them that your hen pooped - normal (this is why BYC exists - it's so us normal people can have a good conversation):gig
Sounds good! I look forward to seeing your coop when it's done:)

LOL Welcome to the world of backyard chickens! Oh yes...worrying about chicks or eggs in the mail is very normal! Worrying over an incubator wondering how a hatch is going to go - normal! Watching chickens all day long - normal!
Your family looking at you like you've lost your mind when you tell them that your hen pooped - normal (this is why BYC exists - it's so us normal people can have a good conversation):gig
I am so glad I’m normal.
Plus you forgot to mention, Worrying that your pullet is a cockerel. At this point, I’ve thought all of them were a he for one reason or another. Glad for the community!

Thank you! This make me feel better. Yes, I’ve been opening the door to let the heat out as long as one of us is there to keep watch!
In my case it was more that opening the garage door would let the heat in! I’d do that for a few hours so they could get used to how hot it would be when they went into their new outdoor pen.

Turning the heat off is a good thing. I moved my 6 three week old chicks outside to my grow off coop yesterday with no supplemental heat and even with temperatures in the mid 60's this morning, they were bouncing around eating and drinking at daylight this morning. They are feathered out for the most part though or I wouldn't have chanced it.
As an update to my post from earlier in the week, my young birds have made it great this week. This after being 90 degrees on Monday afternoon and 46 degrees this morning. They are also fully feathered out at not quite 4 weeks old which I have never witnessed with my prior chicks. And they are spunky boogers as well.

As an update to my post from earlier in the week, my young birds have made it great this week. This after being 90 degrees on Monday afternoon and 46 degrees this morning. They are also fully feathered out at not quite 4 weeks old which I have never witnessed with my prior chicks. And they are spunky boogers as well.
I had a massively staggered hatch with two clutches of guinea keets and decided to move them all outside (3-10 weeks) old earlier this week. The youngest was 3 weeks, with the next 5 weeks and the rest a month older. I put the brooder plate outside for the youngest keet, but he wants to be with his flock instead and was miserable when I tried to separate him. So he’s piling with the older keets at night and seems happy. Temps here were quite warm (70s at night, 90s in day) but have now dropped 10 degrees and he still seems fine.

Thank you for the update! My chicks are still faring well in the garage. No signs of heat distress. Wow 46 degrees! I can’t wait till we hit the 60s lol! I’m from the Midwest and miss those lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom