Ameracauna/EE- Buff Wheaten?

PolarBerry

Songster
Aug 12, 2017
So what do you think of this mystery chick that came into the feed store I work at?

A friend thinks it’s a male buff wheaten Easter Egger. S/he came in as a silkie with a bunch of silkies (and no cockerel were ordered) but is obviously not a silkie.

Soooo opinions?

F7D65156-8B5C-4425-A95E-1B0548CF2E9F.jpeg

B711D37D-DC67-497C-A87B-ACD964C55E31.jpeg

2F9BA9DC-ECA1-4E33-ABA2-BBED9C2DDE40.jpeg

FCD52EE6-EB80-4980-8A8E-8F0675BCE1A8.jpeg

With those puffy cheeks I'd say it's an EE. EEs don't have a standard (because they aren't a breed) so they can come in just about any color/pattern.

I don't think it's an Ameraucana. It might look similar to a Buff or a Wheaten chick (those are actually two different colors) but I know of no hatcheries that sell those colors. The only colors I know of being sold by hatcheries are Blue/Black/Splash. If you know which hatchery they came from you could check the availability to be sure.

Normally I would agree with easter egger, but even blowing the pic up, the comb is just so flat and sits so wide, I can't agree that it's a pea comb. If it's a hatchery chick, it has to be a purebred though. The only purebred breed you're going to find in a hatchery with a comb like that AND a beard is a russian orloff, but I have never seen one so light colored from a hatchery. Greenfire has reference photos (I'll post one below) of their orloff chicks being this light, so I suppose it could be possible . Will be interesting to see what it looks like in two months. Out of curiousity, what hatchery do you order from??

orloff%20chick2.JPG

I held him/her up to our russian orloff tank (from a different hatch date/hatchery) and they had much more yellow legs, darker coloring, and not quite the buff coloring in the wings. Plus chipmunk striping. Although from the easter egger tank they don't always have chipmunk striping either.

This one's an oddball, for sure. Either way, was only $1 and will keep everyone updated. Regardless, I think the orloffs are interesting looking and I like easter eggers as well. S/he is one of my friendlier birds I have right now too. I have a few different varieties of pullets trying to see what breeds I like better so some extra variety doesn't hurt.

I held him/her up to our russian orloff tank (from a different hatch date/hatchery) and they had much more yellow legs, darker coloring, and not quite the buff coloring in the wings. Plus chipmunk striping. Although from the easter egger tank they don't always have chipmunk striping either.

This one's an oddball, for sure. Either way, was only $1 and will keep everyone updated. Regardless, I think the orloffs are interesting looking and I like easter eggers as well. S/he is one of my friendlier birds I have right now too. I have a few different varieties of pullets trying to see what breeds I like better so some extra variety doesn't hurt.

Yeah, all the ones I got in the past were signifigantly different as well. But it's the only thing I've found even relatively close, with the comb being so unusual looking...I have about 25-30 orloffs coming from 3 different hatcheries, so if it does end up being an orloff and I end up getting one similar, I'll let you know, if it brings some resolution to the mystery

Back
Top Bottom