Ameracaunas - mild or wild?

I don't know what article you read, but Ameraucanas are known for being one of the -- if not the -- meekest variety of chicken there is. They rank right there with the buff orpingtons when it comes to meekness and tameness.

This can actually be a problem for folks like me who have to buy straight run Ameraucanas (cuz you can't tell what sex they are when they are young) and end up with roos that you can't keep.

You see, I have no problem with folks who might want my unwanted roos for freezer camp. That is just life.

But in my neck of the woods, cock fighting is common. It is routine in these parts -- when you are trying to teach your roo to thirst for blood -- to train them initially by putting them up against either buff orpington or else Ameraucana roos, since these two roos are so meek and mild.

Craigslist and local bulletin boards usually have several ads a week offering to take unwanted buff orpington or Ameraucana roosters. Of course, the person who comes to pick up the unwanted roos never tells you the real reason they want the unloved roos...

Always be careful who you give an unwanted buff orpington or Ameraucana roo to...

We have an EE among the 8 week old pullets in our flock, and while I wouldn't call her wild, she is a bit flighty. The other four really don't care if you pick them up or pet them or otherwise mess with them or their surroundings. While the EE doesn't care if you approach her and will be the first one in your face when you get out the mealworms, she's also the first to head off on her own and absolutely loathes being touched in any way.

They were all raised together as day olds the same way, so we chalk the difference up to variable chickenalities. No one beats on anyone else, though. If they did, we'd definitely separate them and work at reintroduction.

Back
Top Bottom