1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracuna cockerels or pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimslack, Oct 2, 2012.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Are these pullets or cockerals? They are about 4+ months. No crowing, very skittish, not interested in the girls. These are my first easter egger chickens and they are not easily identifiable.

2. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    The both look like girls to me.

No telltale red patches on the wings, legs seem skinny, and comb isn't very red...

You may get a better response if you can get a closeup pic of the head

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    They look like pullets to me. Are you sure the top pic is an EE and not a pure Ameraucana? She looks to be a Lavender in color. While Lavender is not yet an accepted color the ABC is working on getting Lav accepted. I did take a closer look at the top pic and I do see what looks to be lacing. So perhaps you've got some blue/lav in that bird. I'd be curious to know. Your bottom bird I would say is an EE as it does not conform to the standard colors.

4. kimslack

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I'll get new ones tomorrow and see if I can get a little closer. They know I'm after them for something and run away.

5. kimslack

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I got them as eggs from someone in the area. I don't think her chickens are purebreds in most cases but some have been very pretty. I'll see if I can get another shot of them tomorrow since it will be a nice day here. I feel like Wiley Coyote and they are the Roadrunner...I have trouble getting close to them...and the coop is kind of dark to take pics in.

6. kimslack

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Here are the two Ameracuna "hens" I think. They are very skittish. One has a bit more black feathering on her head than the other. I got them as eggs from a girl who has all kinds of chickens. I've never had ameracunas before so I'm a little ignorant of how they look as they mature. They have fierce looking little faces compared to buff orpington or barnevelder hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullets.

8. Happy Chooks