Ameraucana 6.5wk chick gender?

bufflum

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Hi all, we got 6 sexed day old chicks from a hatchery, but I have my suspicions about our Ameraucana.

What are your thoughts?

At 6.5 wks:

IMG_0294.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg
IMG_0302.jpeg
IMG_0309.jpeg
IMG_0316.jpeg

Hello there ☺️

This appears to be a cockerel.

Important to note also that it isn't an ameraucana 😑 but instead would be called an Easter Egger.

Although you will still
Most likely get your colored eggs with EE's,(probably green opposed to blue) Ameraucanas follow very strict breed standards - feather and leg color, general appearance, etc. although a very nice looking bird, EE none the less 👍

Hello there ☺️

Important to note also that it isn't an ameraucana 😑 but instead would be called an Easter Egger.

Although you will still
Most likely get your colored eggs with EE's,(probably green opposed to blue) Ameraucanas follow very strict breed standards - feather and leg color, general appearance, etc. although a very nice looking bird, EE none the less 👍
Hello there ☺️

Although you will still
Interesting. What characteristics do you see at this age that would make you think it is an EE instead of an Amauricana? We were thinking it’s a silver Amauricana.

Interesting. What characteristics do you see at this age that would make you think it is an EE instead of an Amauricana? We were thinking it’s a silver Amauricana.
It very well could be an Americana, which isn't an Ameraucana. Hatcheries and breeders have deployed countless naming techniques that trick folks into buying something they believe is a purebred chicken, but isn't. Ameraucanas are exceptionally difficult to properly breed because they have so many unique characteristics that are tough to achieve consistently. H

Here are some easy tells with your bird here:
1. Green legs - breed standard is slate or bluish legs. Green is an automatic disqualifier

2. Modified Peacomb - although it has some resemblance to a peacomb, it isn't correct - with it almost turning into a single comb on the top.

3. Feathering - this guy has some barring toward the rear, and even silvers won't have this. Aside from that, the feathering color and pattern isn't correct for any recognized variety.

4. Muffs and beard - aren't quite full enough. Not something that is easy to see, but noticeable when you have looked at enough of them.

I am going to tag @CaliforniaMountainChicks and @fluffycrow to add onto what I have said here. They are very knowledgeable - way more than I.

Back
Top Bottom