Ameraucana, Araucana or Easter Egger

Well, I figured it was an EE, I've learned *so* much from all you here. They were listed as Americana not Ameraucana, so that was kind of my give-away.

I'm just hoping for some green eggs, lol.

Thanks guys-
Jess

Yeah, the misspelling is a common give away too. I hope you get some blue or green eggs from her. EEs are lots of fun and I enjoy our flock here a lot. We get a nice variety of egg colors and they are eye candy in the yard with their beautiful plumage colors. Enjoy!

Jody

smile.png
That brings up another related question.
What do you call a clean-faced, tailed bird from rumpless tufted Araucana stock?

Thanks,
Lisa

That is an araucana because of the blood line (all of the various genes that make up a breed). It is not show quality per the breed standard, but if bred to a rumpless tufted araucana, you have the potential of tufted rumpless offspring. There are so many characteristics that make up a breed (plumage color, body structure, eye color, skin color, etc)...those are what breeders look at when working on improving their breeding stock. IMO, I would never use a clean faced tailed in an araucana breeding program, but if your just starting out, it can sure be helpful to at least have a start of the breed. Matched up to the right breeder can give you excellent quality araucana. From a personal experience I keep tufted tailed birds to breed back into my line to keep the rumpless backs longer. I don't like the appearance of no body on my araucana, but a nice length rumpless rump is more appealing to me. Even breeding rumpless to rumpless, you have the potential of getting tailed & partial tailed araucana. That is probably why this breed is so challenging...a lot of requirements to meet the standard.

Jody

I have another question for you guys.
roll.png

We got our 'Ameracaunas' (That is how they spelled it.) from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. Although most of them are definetely EE's, some of them do have slate legs and match up with most of the standards of the Ameracauna. (i.e. color, patterns, etc. ) For instance, we have one pullet who has the very same appearance as speckledhen's roo Scout, from coloring to leg color to facial feathers. (Well, except she's a she.
wink.png
) Why are they different from the others, even though they're all from the same hatchery? Any reason besides different parents?

WHATEVER they are, they're great birds. And we paid for Ameracaunas, so that's what we'll call them.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have to definately agree with Jody on the hatchery's birds on so called Amercuanas when they are really not.

One thing if the hatchery refuse to tell you where they got their hatching eggs or their stock from, its usually a dead giveaway that it is certainly be an EE breeder or some backyard breeder supplying the eggs. If the hatchery does give you the name of the supplier, go call that supplier and find out where he got his birds from and ask alot of questions.

I had to do this to Ideal Hatchery to take out the Amercuana or Araucana on their sales listings and they refused to talk to me any further because its a good selling tool for them to sell "Easter Eggers or Americuanas" (mind you folks, with an "I" in the Americuana) as Araucanas and Amercuanas when they are really not. So they are not going to change their sales tactic on that one. So it is up to us as buyers to be certain in what we are looking for if we wanted PURE Amercuanas.

I have nothing against EE or Americuanas, they are eye candy and great selection of egg colors. I am planning on using PURE Amercuana with EE stock to get more variety and let the future chicken buyers KNOW that these are crosses, NOT pure Amercuanas. The olive green legs is a dead giveaway and Mike Gilbert and Mike Blehm told me its a NO NO in Amercuanas....they are great people to chat with and they will help you with any questions you have.

Have fun with them!

Back
Top Bottom