Ameraucana bred to SOP

They have picture on their website and a few people in their area have purchased their birds and said they are good quality.
Here is the link:

https://www.spectrumpoultry.com/product-page/ameraucana-eggs

I’m driving a little over a hour to pick them up since it’s over the state line. Hope they are worth it.
They look good.

One girl has a bad comb (maybe heterozygous for pea comb), and a couple have squirrel tail.

But in general they look like good stock. Nice and type-y, great cheek fluff, and great egg color.

I’m not super impressed by them, but I hope you like them.
Thank you guys for your input. You guys see stuff I’m still learning to notice. I am super appreciative of you guys pointing stuff out so I am aware!

The other place I was thinking of buying bbs ameraucana is dragonfly farm. I was hoping to take the best quality from the various lines ( I thought three diff lines would be a good breeding stock to start with?) for the first parent generation breeding stock.

This is dragonfly farm. What do you guys think of their quality from the photos? I have ameraucana bbs I hatched from a local breeder, so I wanted to get a couple other lines to hatch now so they can be around the same age for selection when adults.

https://www.dragonflyfarmnc.com/blue-blacksplash-ameraucana

They look good.

One girl has a bad comb (maybe heterozygous for pea comb), and a couple have squirrel tail.

But in general they look like good stock. Nice and type-y, great cheek fluff, and great egg color.

For a learning experience, I went on to the pics to see if I could find the squirrel tail and the heterozygous pea comb. Is it these two? I am starting to get better at identifying pea combs. I had never heard of squirrel tail so I had to look it up. I do see the other stuff you mentioned for the positive. I hope to get as good as you down the road with assessing visually easily.

On a side note, I’m not familiar with the term type-y. I will have to research that one. Thank you for educating me!

Attachments

• 36BD3CC1-CDB6-404B-BE97-7D8CA3749551.png
    36BD3CC1-CDB6-404B-BE97-7D8CA3749551.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 859BBFDD-825A-4417-8BE8-2C426536AF23.png
    859BBFDD-825A-4417-8BE8-2C426536AF23.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Thank you guys for your input. You guys see stuff I’m still learning to notice. I am super appreciative of you guys pointing stuff out so I am aware!

The other place I was thinking of buying bbs ameraucana is dragonfly farm. I was hoping to take the best quality from the various lines ( I thought three diff lines would be a good breeding stock to start with?) for the first parent generation breeding stock.

This is dragonfly farm. What do you guys think of their quality from the photos? I have ameraucana bbs I hatched from a local breeder, so I wanted to get a couple other lines to hatch now so they can be around the same age for selection when adults.

https://www.dragonflyfarmnc.com/blue-blacksplash-ameraucana
These look better. They are more balanced overall.
Ameraucanas are supposed to have “medium” features and that other page had short backs and abrupt tail angles.

For a learning experience, I went on to the pics to see if I could find the squirrel tail and the heterozygous pea comb. Is it these two? I am starting to get better at identifying pea combs. I had never heard of squirrel tail so I had to look it up. I do see the other stuff you mentioned for the positive. I hope to get as good as you down the road with assessing visually easily.

On a side note, I’m not familiar with the term type-y. I will have to research that one. Thank you for educating me!
Type-y as in true to type, or the general shape and stance for that breed SOP (standard of perfection).

So just your general that Ameraucanas are supposed to be fat looking, verses a Leghorn is supposed to be long and lean.

And yes! You did pick out the 2 I meant.

A peacomb on that hen, that is so large, is clearly heterozygous for pea comb. As problems go, an easy problem, since you can see it and therefore breed it out without much trouble.

On the second site, yes, I too think they look better overall. A few of the males had too upright of a tail...one of the males had a perfect tail....

Where are you located? I know of a couple people that could also offer some really nice Ameraucanas. One is in Tennessee. The Dragonfly Ams look really nice! :)

Just thought I’d post an update of my two pretty ladies! They’re just the sweetest girls!

Attachments

• A10445B0-40E1-4EEA-8C38-F77F69AFB4BD.jpeg
    A10445B0-40E1-4EEA-8C38-F77F69AFB4BD.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 85E49D3C-BA8C-493F-98D3-1F237CFCA1F2.jpeg
    85E49D3C-BA8C-493F-98D3-1F237CFCA1F2.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 26A73969-50E3-4B08-96CB-FAB38006092F.jpeg
    26A73969-50E3-4B08-96CB-FAB38006092F.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 49BBCE81-2521-491C-8124-10EF013C000E.jpeg
    49BBCE81-2521-491C-8124-10EF013C000E.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 4
They have picture on their website and a few people in their area have purchased their birds and said they are good quality.
Here is the link:

https://www.spectrumpoultry.com/product-page/ameraucana-eggs

I’m driving a little over a hour to pick them up since it’s over the state line. Hope they are worth it.

They look good.

I’m not super impressed by them, but I hope you like them.
Wow! I couldn’t get past those high prices and obviously color enhanced photos! Is that a normal price for hatching eggs nowadays with crazy Covid inflation?

Reading their “about us” page didn’t give me any indication that these are Ameraucana experts. In fact, their use of the term “Ameraucana”, without the color variety (as opposed to Blue Ameraucanas or BBS Ameraucanas) made me think they had EEs. Plus with heterozygous pea comb…

@LKWolfram , you will have to let us know what they are like in real life, after you go. And the true egg color.

Back
Top Bottom