Ameraucana - Can you tell what color it will be at all?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by barg, Jun 12, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Last minute crash coarse on Ameracaunas.
    Are there any clues to tell you what variety an ameracauna
    is when it is a day or 2 old. Variety: meaning color and feather pattern.

The feed store should be getting them in tomarrow morning so anything you wana throw at me about Ameraucanas is welcome.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm sorry I can't help, but your thread title has me in a fit of giggles. I blame lack of sleep [​IMG]

3. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    [​IMG] Well at least someone read it haha.
    And for anyone else who happens by... can knowing the color of the parents predict their color or are they so mixed up typicly that its a complete crap shoot.

Were talking privett hatchery birds here, so im assuming easter eggers is more accurate.

4. Hellebore

Hellebore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Kirkland WA
    I can tell you that the one that was solid yellow as a chick is now white and brown with some solid brown feathers and a lot of cream feathers laced with brown. The chicks that looked like they were wearing eyeliner and were darker reddish turned out to be shades of orange with black markings. These are pullets and still developing. I have seen pictures of solid white hens that I would guess also started out solid yellow.

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    do you know what hatcherie yours came from?

6. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    hey your in kirkland... did you get yours at a feed store? if so, which one?

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would say if you are buying them at a feed store, they are likely ordering from a hatchery (unless there is an Ameraucana breeder nearby). If from a hatchery, they will most likely be EEs, not Ameraucana. EEs can be any mix of colors.

Jody

9. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Here's a picture of my Ameraucana as a baby and one from about a week ago when she was 12 weeks old. She's getting some beautiful patterns to her feathers, more than I would have ever had guessed from seeing her as a chick.

She's the darkest one on the top left
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Oh I have one like that. Though she has more golden feathers on her neck and her body plumage is a bit lighter but has the same pattern. My hens name is Patty Partridge because I think she is a partridge. When my hen was a chick she looked different than yours though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by