Ameraucana: chick color leads to what hen color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Back to the Earth, May 3, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You are right, Green, that is a pure wheaton color that we all know so well. There are too many variations when something like that happens. Gotta love those EEs and their wild genetic make up.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    This is a Wheaten Ameraucana chick. Notice it is pale yellow and their leg color changes at maturity. They should not have chipmunk stripes, but can have a small dark spot/streak on their head. If yours have stripes, they are not Wheatens.

[​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, been a while since I hatched a wheaten(have adults but haven't hatched any in a while) but I went through my chick pics and none had stripes [​IMG]

4. Back to the Earth

Back to the Earth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    This is all very informative and a bit of a disappointment as I had my heart set on the silver ameraucana. The farm store I got them from has such a good reputation I guess I assumed they'd be true breeds. I hope as an EEs she will still lay reasonably blue or green eggs then?! Here is a picture of her (or, who knows, might be a "he" at this rate) with a big stripe down her back. Basically, a dark brown back.
    It sounds like the wheaten color pattern doesn't have that type of striping in the chick coloring. "gordonburrito" your chick looks A LOT like mine. The adult coloration is surprising. I would've have imagined such a pattern. Anyone else have pictures of hens and roosters with similar chick coloring? I will be sure to post the end result for others out there who've ended up with EE's.
    [​IMG]

5. Back to the Earth

Mar 27, 2010
  6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have 3 white/tan bantam EE's and just got 2 EE's from the farm store. No hatchery sells true Ameraucana chicks you have to go to a breeder. Now EE's are a great chicken they come in so many different colors and can lay any color eggs. My 3 bantams lay light to Med blue eggs. I can't wait to find out what my 2 new EE's lay. I remember how I felt when I found out that my EE's where not Ameraucan's I was upset because someone said those are mutts. I then realized that being a mutt was okay. So now I love EE's and will always have some in my flock. I am planning on getting some true Ameraucana's also. Good luck with your new chicks. Enjoy the colored eggs.

Wanted to add here is a great thread to find out about EE's
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273489

Edited to add right thread topic. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. Back to the Earth

Mar 27, 2010
    Thank you, shellie, this is a great thread. I will certainly embrace all the wonders of my EE (though, wagging a finger at UF store).

8. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
  9. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I purchased my first 5 from urban farm store! i also got a so called ameraucuana. mine is an easter egger and might be a roo. I love her to pieces and really hope she's not a roo. anyway, from my experience i'm going to guess its an easter egger [​IMG]

10. Back to the Earth

Mar 27, 2010
    Moxie-that is a super link! Thanks. Tons to sift through here and hours of research.[​IMG]

Mother--do you have pictures you can post? I would be interested to see what your chicks look like as they've grown up. How old are they now? As far as UFS is concerned, they should really be more explicit and honest about what they are selling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by