Ameraucana Chicken laying eggs with membrane around them ???

sunflow3r

In the Brooder
May 18, 2015
Hi! I am new to BYC and have a question for anyone with some knowledge. My 7 month old Ameraucana hen has been laying for about a month now sporadically. Some of her eggs have been covered in a little bit of membrane but this is the most recent one?I don't have any idea what could be wrong. Any response would be great! Thanks:)

Last edited:
It's a shell-less egg. Are you feeding enough calcium? Too many treats? Some layer feeds don't have enough so providing oyster shell on the side helps. She's also still young so her system is still getting in gear. If you are feeding extras besides chicken food, stop with exception to offering grit and oyster shell and see what happens.

That looks like a hard shelled egg covered in membrane...@sunflow3r is that correct?

If the shell inside the membrane is indeed hard, calcium deficiency is not likely the problem.

It could be a short term glitch in the new system......or a major permanent anatomy malfunction.

Is she acting ill? EatingDrinkingPoopingActivity all normal?

Might just have to wait it out.

Thank you for responding, yes it is a perfectly shaped hard shelled egg. She doesn't seem to be acting ill at all. So you feel she could just be having some plumbing problems that may work themselves out? That would be great! How much time should I give her? I was worried she was just backed up, or had a disease. I have an older hen and she isn't really friendly with sharing the nesting boxes:) Thank you!

Thank you for responding, yes it is a perfectly shaped hard shelled egg. She doesn't seem to be acting ill at all. So you feel she could just be having some plumbing problems that may work themselves out? That would be great! How much time should I give her? I was worried she was just backed up, or had a disease. I have an older hen and she isn't really friendly with sharing the nesting boxes:) Thank you!
It's hard to say how much time it might take to resolve...especially if she's being stressed by other birds.
It's not an anomaly that I've seen before.

How many birds of what ages do you have and how much space(feet by feet) do they have in the coop?

How often does she lay and how many of those eggs have this membrane?
Looks like the membrane is holding fluid?
I take it she is not laying in the nests?

Last edited:
Sorry , I just saw your reply. I have a very mixed aged flock. My oldest hen is 2.5 years old, my rooster is 1.5 and the hen that has been laying the eggs in question is 7.5 months . The other 6 are 3 months old. Our run is big! I will measure it for you exactly later on today. She has been laying here and there for about a month. All of them have had a little bit of membrane on them. Just a small amount on the ends on the others. Not fully enclosed like this one! Thank you for your response. I might be taking the older hen out for a few days and see if she will lay in the nest then! She has attempted to get in them before but, the old hen makes a huge stink about it!

Thank you again for the responses. She finally had a normal egg yesterday, although it was quite big! I cracked the egg and everything seemed fine. I'm crossing my fingers that from now on it will be smooth sailing:)

Back
Top Bottom