Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Susan55

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
Central California
Bought these chicks yesterday. The black one is a barred rock. The other was said to be an Ameraucana. After doing some research online I’m wondering if he said “Americana” and not “Ameraucana”. Any ideas? I can get better pics.

I also have 13 hens that are about a year old. Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and White Leghorns. I’ve never had an Easter Egger or an Ameraucana so I don’t know what they look like at this age.

Attachments

• 70735136897__080AA1CF-2C58-42CF-B698-636F092B1449.jpeg
    70735136897__080AA1CF-2C58-42CF-B698-636F092B1449.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 24
Americanas are not Ameraucanas. The term "Americana" is a frequently-used word in feed stores and some hatcheries that is meant to trick the buyer into thinking that they are purchasing straightbred Ameraucanas, when they are actually getting Easter Eggers instead. Because of Easter Eggers being hybrids and mixes, and Ameraucanas being an actual breed, you will pay more for an Ameraucana than you will for an Easter Egger.

Americanas are not Ameraucanas. The term "Americana" is a frequently-used word in feed stores and some hatcheries that is meant to trick the buyer into thinking that they are purchasing straightbred Ameraucanas, when they are actually getting Easter Eggers instead. Because of Easter Eggers being hybrids and mixes, and Ameraucanas being an actual breed, you will pay more for an Ameraucana than you will for an Easter Egger.
Yeah, I knew they weren’t the same thing. That’s why I was asking. After looking it up I assumed she was probably an Easter Egger, which I’m fine with, I was just curious. My daughter picked her out to raise herself. She didn’t pick her for her breed. She picked her because she was pretty. 😊 I’ve just never seen an Ameraucana chick.

Where did you get them? True ameraucana are pretty rare, you'd usually be able to find them from a breeder. Americana/Americauna is a fancy name for EE
Yeah, I figured she was probably an Easter Egger. It’s annoying that try to trick people like that. Luckily we didn’t get her because we were wanting an Ameraucana. My daughter picked her because she liked her coloring. She will be loved either way! ☺️

Thanks for sharing your opinions! You’ve all confirmed my thoughts on assuming she’s an Easter Egger. Keeping my fingers crossed for a pretty color for her eggs. 😊

Back
Top Bottom