Ameraucana (Probably EE) Genders?

At about what age do these guys start developing hackle, saddle, and tail feathers that are tell-tale signs of being boys?

I'm guessing the current tell is the redder combs. No chance of just being faster developing girls? Those two are my pigs and oh so greedy. 🤣

At about what age do these guys start developing hackle, saddle, and tail feathers that are tell-tale signs of being boys?

I'm guessing the current tell is the redder combs. No chance of just being faster developing girls? Those two are my pigs and oh so greedy. 🤣
Usually male specific feathering is obvious about 12-15 weeks, but could vary from that depending on the breed and exact genetics of the chicken.

Post some new pics and we'll take a look - it's been a couple weeks, they may be more obvious now.

The pictures of Lefty aren't quite accurate. The red tones are definitely more prominent. 'His' comb is about the same as Gray; more pink than red.
20230707_143049.jpg
20230707_143056.jpg
20230707_144145.jpg
20230707_144336.jpg
20230707_144355.jpg

Last edited:
Same verdict? :hmm
I'm leaning cockerel, but am not 100% on that, as I'm not super great at EE sex ID. Might try tagging the folks who originally responded to this post to see what they think? A few folks gave definite thoughts for cockerel when these guys were younger, so I'm betting they're probably correct.

Back
Top Bottom