Ameraucana pullet? I'm doubtful

It did for my Roo, his didn't come out until he was several months old. That's him in my user pic as a chick, but his sire is an Austrolorp. There was only one EE in the flock he came from so we know who his mother is.
Interesting. Perhaps you only didn't see his muffs and beard until his developed more fully? Here is my Blue Easter Egger pullet, April, only a few hours old (I hatched her) and she has muffs and a beard. All of my other Easter Egger chicks were the same.

Screenshot_20230407-120807_Video Player.jpg

It's a bit difficult to see with the angle of the picture and the brooder lamp, but hopefully you can see.

Interesting. Perhaps you only didn't see his muffs and beard until his developed more fully? Here is my Blue Easter Egger pullet, April, only a few hours old (I hatched her) and she has muffs and a beard. All of my other Easter Egger chicks were the same.

View attachment 3728156

It's a bit difficult to see with the angle of the picture and the brooder lamp, but hopefully you can see.
Dipper is a weirdo🤷‍♀️

My feed store uses ameruacauna/EE interchangeably🤷‍♀️😂
Ameraucanas are a true breed, while EEs are not one. EEs don't have a breed standard, so they can look like pretty much anything, depending on the parents. Many hatcheries will call EEs Americaunas (Or sometimes Ameraucana, I've seen. But usually Americauna) instead, making you think you're getting Ameracaunas, the true breed.

He only has 2 hens rn, and I have a rescue hen that has been having difficulty integrating. I was told he needed more work to focus on. I'm also spending time with him one on one. He was hand raised from the shell but once he hit about 8 months old he started going after ppl, including me who he sees multiple times a day and I spend long periods of time when they're free ranging.
I don't think giving him more work is going to make him friendly. I have only seen roosters become more aggressive when they have more hens because they have more females to defend from threats, which include humans in their mind. While getting new hens will likely not work in that matter, he does need more anyways because the correct ratio is 1:8 or 1:10 in order to prevent over-breeding. If he attacks you, stand your ground. Don't run or show any signs of weakness, don't even back up. When he runs at you, lift your foot up so he hits that instead of more dangerous areas like your legs, which he could get his spur in. If you can catch him, I would suggest sitting on him. I know it sounds weird, but it's not actually sitting on them. You crouch on the ground and hold the rooster with his back end between your legs, and you use two fingers to force his head into the ground. He will eventually go limp, and this is where he is submitting to you. Let him go and do this daily if possible to show him who is the most dominant.

I don't think giving him more work is going to make him friendly. I have only seen roosters become more aggressive when they have more hens because they have more females to defend from threats, which include humans in their mind. While getting new hens will likely not work in that matter, he does need more anyways because the correct ratio is 1:8 or 1:10 in order to prevent over-breeding. If he attacks you, stand your ground. Don't run or show any signs of weakness, don't even back up. When he runs at you, lift your foot up so he hits that instead of more dangerous areas like your legs, which he could get his spur in. If you can catch him, I would suggest sitting on him. I know it sounds weird, but it's not actually sitting on them. You crouch on the ground and hold the rooster with his back end between your legs, and you use two fingers to force his head into the ground. He will eventually go limp, and this is where he is submitting to you. Let him go and do this daily if possible to show him who is the most dominant.
Yes, a year ago I suddenly ended up with chickens (hen rejected 2 chicks, grabbed a 3rd to be sure, flock of friend i helped with animal care when they traveled) and was not ready for it so have been heavily researching since(adhd hyper focus). The new pullets and Linda the rescue hen bring him up to 6.
I do stand my ground and have started catching him mid air and carrying him around for a little while and it seems to be helping. I also leave the girls in their run and hang out with him one on one. I also get all big and flap my arms and ask him if he wants hugs😂

I will definitely try sitting on him, and I'm familiar with the concept from "sitting" on cats to medicate😂 thanks for the advice, the internet is full of many different suggestions.

Ameraucanas are a true breed, while EEs are not one. EEs don't have a breed standard, so they can look like pretty much anything, depending on the parents. Many hatcheries will call EEs Americaunas (Or sometimes Ameraucana, I've seen. But usually Americauna) instead, making you think you're getting Ameracaunas, the true breed.
When I called to see what they had they called them ameraucanas and when I went to swap out the cockerel they called them EEs. They breed their own, so I assumed they were giving me accurate info.

When I called to see what they had they called them ameraucanas and when I went to swap out the cockerel they called them EEs. They breed their own, so I assumed they were giving me accurate info.
They probably breed their own Easter Eggers. But they might use Ams to make them. That’s possible.

Back
Top Bottom