Ameraucana question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Young MacDonald, May 15, 2009.

1. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    I was sold two "Ameraucana" pullets. I've been reading the threads about the differences between Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. I have a question regarding recognized colors.

If two Ameraucanas (that meet APA standards) breed and they are of different colors, let's say one white and one wheaten, is the offspring not an Ameraucana because it doesn't have the coloring of a recognized variety? Is that an Easter Egger?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

That's an interesting question. With any other breed I'd say you have a mess of a bird but it would still be that breed, because it would have the type & other characteristics for the breed. I'm not sure what the Ameraucana people would say about that notion though. [​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I, personally, call my mixed color ameraucana EE's.....
    I don't have my colors separated yet and it's fun to see what color they come out. The great part is I know they will still lay the correct color egg.
    I don't think you can call them ameraucana because they won't breed true......

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    A lot of controversy about this, but I would say that they were EE's also. They may be Ameraucanas, just an unrecognized color I guess. Either way, they don't adhere to the Standard.

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I heard someone call it a non-standard ameraucana which I think is a perfect 'title'. [​IMG]

6. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I also think non-standard color is a good term. EEs are supposed to be mixed breeds. Two purebred Ameraucanas of different colors could produce non-standard colors but how could they be a mixed breed if the parents are purebred? To me they would just produce more non-standard colors but they would still be Ameraucanas. Now for show breeding purposes I can see breeding the colors true. I am sure many will disagree with this, but anyway this is how I see it. Maybe because I have been a dog breeder for over 30 yrs [​IMG] To me two purebreds can only produce purebreds. I am sure bird people see things differently.

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Does this issue come up when mixing varieties of other breeds? For some reason it seems to generate far more controversy with Ameraucanas.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
  9. Young MacDonald

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks Marlin, but my question is not about Easter-eggers. It's about Ameraucanas. I'm wondering because I have a bird that has all of the qualities of an Ameraucana and was sold to me as one, but her coloring is mixed so I guess she is an Easter-egger, even if both parents were Ameraucana. Werid

10. Young MacDonald

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Oh, and thanks, too, to everyone who responded. I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by