ameraucana quickly on the deline

lovinghcl

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 9, 2014
So I noticed Whiskers, my ameraucana, with an immobile wing one day however she was walking and socializing fine for about a month before I decided to wrap the wing thinking it was broken. The she immediately started on the decline. I wrapped her wing one evening then the next morning she was on her back with the tape ripped off and having trouble walking. When I let the flock out to free range she would lay nearby everyone so then I decided to quarantine her from the rest. One sunny day, three days later, I decided to let her free range with the flock and she immediately couldn't walk. She stays squatting with feathers ruffled yet eats and drinks just fine. She will hobble around to the closes form of shelter if being chased by the other curious hens. She'll dig around in the dirt with her beak but I have to lay her down in the dirt. Its been six days now and basically she stays in a squatting position but very alert and eating/drinking normally. I've given her some electrolytes but not sure what else to do. Her immobility is progressing, she's losing her order in the flock and I'm afraid it's something more than a broken wing and depression. I can't move her closer to the pen/coop and I wasn't able to get her out in the sun today, day seven. Is there something more I can do, would a vet be able to draw blood and see if she's diseased. My flock has been eating and drinking after her. Her comb and eyes look normal, she just doesn't move around like the rest.

Whiskers, my ameraucana, with an immobile wing one day however she was walking and socializing fine for about a month before I decided to wrap the wing thinking it was broken. The she immediately started on the decline. I wrapped her wing one evening then the next morning she was on her back with the tape ripped off and having trouble walking.

She stays squatting with feathers ruffled yet eats and drinks just fine. She will hobble around to the closes form of shelter if being chased by the other curious hens. She'll dig around in the dirt with her beak but I have to lay her down in the dirt. Its been six days now and basically she stays in a squatting position
Can you post some photos?
A video of her actions would be welcomed too - just upload it to youtube, then provide us link.
How old is she?
What do you feed?
How long have you had her?

It's very hard to know what's going on with her, but she may have a disease called Marek's which can affect mobility and cause paralysis in the wings and legs.

I would provide her with extra vitamins containing B12(Riboflavin) and Vitamin E.

Look forward to more information and photos - hopefully we can help you better.
In the meantime, her is some reading for you
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Wow, she must have had her worst day when I posted because now all of a sudden shes perking up! Sunday was a beautiful day so I gave her lots of sunbathing time, dirt time and electryte/vitamins. She's actually standing, walking, stretching one wing at least, and bathing in the dirt. She stumbles a little but her movement is far better than it was. After I quarantined her, I'd let her out for short stints and nevertheless she'd get chased and fall onto her hurt wing. So that's when I decided to leave her locked up in a huge dog crate for three days or until I couldn't handle it anymore. Wondering if there was something to her not getting out to forage and sunbathe. She had plenty of room to move but didnt so maybe she stiffened. I'm sure the vitamins helped as well. She may have hit her head also when she originally hurt her wing that may explain the wobbling around. I suspect it was the roost, I've got quite a few birds roosting on a 5ft section. (Not sure why they dont move to the other one)
She cant stretch around to get to her oil gland, should I provide her with some olive or coconut oil? Could a broken wing cause her to be unbalanced? I'm really stumped by this. I'll try to post a video.

Her oil gland is used for preening. I wouldn't provide her with oil, but you will want to check her regularly for lice and mites since weak birds are more suscpetible to getting infested.

From your description, I would say she is suffering from Marek's. They can suddenly start to improve and even recover.
Getting them outside is a big help as is reducing stress. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Can you post some photos?
A video of her actions would be welcomed too - just upload it to youtube, then provide us link.
How old is she?
What do you feed?
How long have you had her?

It's very hard to know what's going on with her, but she may have a disease called Marek's which can affect mobility and cause paralysis in the wings and legs.

I would provide her with extra vitamins containing B12(Riboflavin) and Vitamin E.

Look forward to more information and photos - hopefully we can help you better.
In the meantime, her is some reading for you
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Sorry didnt know I was getting any feedback on this thread.
She's only 8 months old and yes she's been in my care, along with 10 other hens, since she was 3 days old. She eats organic scratch and organic lay pellets. I suspect she took a fall in coop and broke her wing originally(maybe multiple times) that's caused her to be unbalanced if that can happen. Possibly even hit her head. Her feathers appear to be slightly raised on that half of her head. I've examined her head and pet her yet she doesn't react injured.
Not sure if you've seen my followup. She's responding well to the vitamins/electrolytes. Standing tall, walking straight, stretching leg on injured side and grooming herself. Yet she can't get to her oil gland. Wondering if I should offer olive/coconut oil? Thank you for your response. I've tried uploading a video (even 30 sec) but it continues to say file too large.

Her oil gland is used for preening. I wouldn't provide her with oil, but you will want to check her regularly for lice and mites since weak birds are more suscpetible to getting infested.

From your description, I would say she is suffering from Marek's. They can suddenly start to improve and even recover.
Getting them outside is a big help as is reducing stress. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Will my other birds contract it if they've been together since day one? They've also been eating and drinking from her dishes after I let her out with them. I'm worried

Back
Top Bottom