Ameraucana + Rhode Island Red

Hilatious

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Marysville, WA
I picked up some hatching eggs from my father-in-law and two of the eggs came from a true Ameraucana hen and the father is a RIR. I know the chicks will be EEs and either lay blue/green or olive eggs, but other than that I can't find much info. Who else has had this mix before and how did they turn out? What was there coloring like? And did they keep those fluffy cheek feathers?

I hatched 6 blue eggs from my 3 ameraucana hens x with a rir rooster = I got 3 pullets that have the muffs & beards and are colored like a rir with partial black or gray and red tail feathers. They are very pretty and sweet but, I thought that would get me olive eggs but they all lay brown eggs. The other 3 eggs turned out to be roosters that look like the standard EE roosters. I was told after I started incubating the eggs that you need a truely dark brown (Maran type) x with a blue egg layer to get a OE.

I picked up some hatching eggs from my father-in-law and two of the eggs came from a true Ameraucana hen and the father is a RIR. I know the chicks will be EEs and either lay blue/green or olive eggs, but other than that I can't find much info. Who else has had this mix before and how did they turn out? What was there coloring like? And did they keep those fluffy cheek feathers?
When crossbreeding a blue egg layer with any other color egg layer is a chance of getting any of the colors of eggs. Blue-Green-White-Brown-Olive and all the in between colors.

I crossed a blue-green egg layer with a Polish rooster the only offspring from that cross lays a white egg. She's going back to a blue-green egg layer and see if her offspring will lay the blue-green eggs.

When crossbreeding a blue egg layer with any other color egg layer is a chance of getting any of the colors of eggs. Blue-Green-White-Brown-Olive and all the in between colors.
this is just not correct.. Cross a blue egger to a Brown egger you will only dilute the brown eggs to a lighter shade of brown(cream) and the blue gene will turn that light shade of brown into a light green color.. thats it, you wont be getting blue eggs or Olive eggs, just right there in the middle

this is just not correct.. Cross a blue egger to a Brown egger you will only dilute the brown eggs to a lighter shade of brown(cream) and the blue gene will turn that light shade of brown into a light green color.. thats it, you wont be getting blue eggs or Olive eggs, just right there in the middle
Yes, it is correct. Have had it happen to me.
There's always that small chance that it can.

I should clarify though that the other possible color of egg depends what the other breed crossed with lays.

Last edited:
I hatched 6 blue eggs from my 3 ameraucana hens x with a rir rooster = I got 3 pullets that have the muffs & beards and are colored like a rir with partial black or gray and red tail feathers. They are very pretty and sweet but, I thought that would get me olive eggs but they all lay brown eggs. The other 3 eggs turned out to be roosters that look like the standard EE roosters. I was told after I started incubating the eggs that you need a truely dark brown (Maran type) x with a blue egg layer to get a OE.
Nice! They sound gorgeous. This is my first hatch, I am very excited.

As for the color of the eggs. The blue color is dominant, so breeding a blue egg layer to a breed that lays another egg color will get you another blue or green egg layer (unless blue egg laying bird was heterozygous for that trait then there is a chance of getting a bird who lays a different color egg such as brown or white). So in other words, your odds a pretty good of getting a blue egg laying chicken. If the chicken layed actual blue eggs and you breed her to one that lays brown eggs then you will get a green egg layer.

Nice! They sound gorgeous. This is my first hatch, I am very excited.

As for the color of the eggs. The blue color is dominant, so breeding a blue egg layer to a breed that lays another egg color will get you another blue or green egg layer (unless blue egg laying bird was heterozygous for that trait then there is a chance of getting a bird who lays a different color egg such as brown or white). So in other words, your odds a pretty good of getting a blue egg laying chicken. If the chicken layed actual blue eggs and you breed her to one that lays brown eggs then you will get a green egg layer.
It's great because the 3 rir x am hens have tail feathers that are all different so, I can tell them apart. I have these hens in with a gorgeous purebred blue am. rooster I hatched from a byc breeder. I plan to breed them and hatch out some chicks to see what shade of eggs I will get. I'm ok with getting green eggs. lol
I hope you have a great hatch and you get some nice pullets.

Back
Top Bottom