Ameraucana Roos or Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ET4120, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ET4120

ET4120 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Hello all! I have these three ameraucana's that are around 9 to 10 weeks old... Over the last few days my wife and I cannot seem to determine the sex of these birds. We were under the impression that we purchased three Pullets, but we are seeing signs of cockerels. Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. ET4120

ET4120 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Sorry I forgot... Here's the third

[​IMG]

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Any chance you could include close-up pictures of their combs?

4. trailrider330

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    The reason I ask for comb pictures is because Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers can often be sexed by the number of rows in their pea combs. Females generally have one row and males generally have three.

Speaking of Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, what you have there are actually Easter Eggers and not Ameraucanas. They do not fit breed standards, or color varieties, for Ameraucanas. Easter eggers are great, I have three myself, and they will give you some variety in your egg color, most leaning toward a shade of green.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. ET4120

ET4120 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    I also think they are EE's but when we bought them they were sold to us as ameraucana's. Here is a close up pic of each that my wife made yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will help. Thanks

6. trailrider330

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Unfortunately, many people, hatcheries, and feed stores sell what they call "Ameraucanas" or "Americanas", when in fact they are Easter Eggers. About the only way to get an actual Ameraucana is to buy through a reputable breeder, and make sure that they are selling them as a specified variety/color (buff, black, blue, splash, lavender, silver, etc.). But, do something like breed a lavender to a silver and you no longer have an Ameraucana, you have an Easter Egger.

I am having a hard time seeing the combs close enough to distinguish if there are three rows of peas on all the birds' combs, but I can definitely see them on bird #2. The other two look wide enough that they could have three rows as well. That combined with the redness of their combs and the curved tail feathers I can make out on bird #3, and I would say there is a good chance you have 3 cockerels there. But, just to be sure, how red are their combs? In the first pics they look pretty pale, while in the last three they look quite red for 9-10 weeks. Females will generally not get red combs until they are closer to point of lay.

Check this thread out for extra help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

7. ET4120

ET4120 New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Here is a zoomed in look... Maybe this will help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They all appear to be showing a lot of red

8. trailrider330

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America