Ameraucana Rooster troubles with crowing! Help!

MonSche

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
My 4 year old Ameraucana Rooster suddenly developed an issue when crowing, literally from one day to the other. His crow is very, very quiet and hoarse and sometimes he looks like he hems. Other than that he seems to be his old self. He is not lethargic, doesn't have any discharge out of his eyes or nose and is right out there doing his thing with his chickens. Any ideas? I can use all the help I can get. He is my favorite rooster and absolutely beautiful

He could just be getting older and hoarser. But difficulty crowing can be a sign of a respiratory disease, such as Infectious Bronchitis. If you want to be safe, I'd get some Oxytetracycline (sold under names such as Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.), and treat him and perhaps the rest of your flock. The Oxytetracycline can generally be found at a livestock supply store, for a rather minimal price ($9-$15).

The Oxytetracycline dosage is 1/2 teaspoon powdered Oxytetracycline per quart of drinking water for 7-14 days. During treatment, do not give any probiotics, dairy products, or Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. Vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though. Now, if your rooster had clear signs of a respiratory disease, I would recommend treating with Tylan, as Oxytetracycline isn't quite as effective as a stronger (but more expensive) antibiotic. However, since your rooster appears fine, except for the trouble crowing, I think that treating with Oxytetracycline is a good preventative measure.

By the way, he is a really beautiful rooster!

Back
Top Bottom