Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I was tossing this theory around earlier- I think that the less developed colors like lavender and silver may actually be even less likely to be dominant for pea comb than, say, blacks would be. I had several in my f1s, and thought that by weeding them out I would be left with a high percentage of pea combs in the f2s. I am surprised by how many I was still getting, but then somebody commented about crossing thier silvers with leghorns....

Anyway- my roo is shiny. High contrast, but thin stripes. He was a sex-linked cuckoo, so I would guess that means he is single barred? He doesn't have the thick white bands like I have seen in some of my golden cuckoo marans boys. This is the reason the females all look to be solid so far, no?

Last edited:
On the subject of "mislabled" ameraucanas, the other day I picked up Backyard Poultry from TSC.

While I was reading through it I came upon this picture.

This is why many Ameraucana breeders have problems explaining the difference to people, a poultry mag can't even get it right.

Just wanted to share a pic of my chicks hatching from pipsandpeeps chocolate ameracauna project eggs! The chick on the left is black, on the right is chocolate. Very bad pic, but I was rushed because my batteries were dying. I have 5 more eggs to go, and 4 of the five are pipped! So, still expecting some chicks and hoping for another chocolate or two! :)

I have Ameraucana and EE's. There is a difference in the bodies of mine as well. The EE's I have , have a more "gamey" body., my Ameraucana is more of a solid build, not stocky, but a nice solid shape.

On the subject of "mislabled" ameraucanas, the other day I picked up Backyard Poultry from TSC.

While I was reading through it I came upon this picture.

This is why many Ameraucana breeders have problems explaining the difference to people, a poultry mag can't even get it right.

Most Mags get their info from average pet/layer backyard flock owners, who get their info from hatcheries.

Although you have to admit, the birds at least in my moniter appear to have blue legs. Maybe it's my moniter though.

And, sadly, Feathersite has quite a few EE's in their Ameraucana section. The green legs are a dead giveaway. I wouldn't be so uptight about color of plumage but green legs are just a no.

Most Mags get their info from average pet/layer backyard flock owners, who get their info from hatcheries.

Although you have to admit, the birds at least in my moniter appear to have blue legs. Maybe it's my moniter though.

And, sadly, Feathersite has quite a few EE's in their Ameraucana section. The green legs are a dead giveaway. I wouldn't be so uptight about color of plumage but green legs are just a no.

I had to look close at first to make sure that they weren't Ameraucanas. While somebody with a good eye like yours will notice that the feather color is wrong but atleast the rest is close, another person would say "My americanas look like that so they must be real". You would think the editor would try to catch things like that but I guess they don't care, and there lays the problem. Lack of knowledge and unwilling to learn. Alot of people come to this thread and then don't want listen when people try to share with them the things that they have learned. When I started out I didn't know the difference untill I took the time educate myself on the things I wanted to know about.

Awwwww!!! Cuteness!!!
love.gif

Hopefully I'll have a bunch of lav fuzzy butts hatching here soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom