Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Can someone please tell me what two Ameraucaunas will make a wheaten? I req'd that a black and a splash or white make a blue.

Two wheatens will make wheaten.

Blue, black and splash can work together to make blue. Splash is a double dose (homozygous) of the Bl gene. Visual blue is a single dose (heterozygous) of Bl. Bl dilutes black which is why black can be used with blue. Keep whites out of it. Blue X blue will give you 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. Blue X splash will give you 50% blue and 50% splash. Blue X black gets 50% blue, 50% black. Black X splash produces 100% blue. Splash X splash - 100% splash.

Can someone please tell me what two Ameraucaunas will make a wheaten? I req'd that a black and a splash or white make a blue.

Black and white make random mixed colors, depending on whether the white used is dominant or recessive. If the white bird is dominant white hiding blue, then maybe there is a teeny tiny chance you might get chicks with blue in their feathers, but they will not be solid blue.

Black and splash, which can sometimes be so pale and with so few "splashes" of blue that the bird looks white at a glance, will make 100% blue chicks. The blue gene dilutes black pigment. One copy of the blue gene makes a blue bird, and two copies of the blue gene make a splash bird. So if you breed a splash, which can only pass on the gene for blue to it's offspring since both of the genes for color are blue, to a black, which has no copies of the gene for blue, every single one of the resulting chicks will have one copy of the blue gene and one copy of the black gene which will make them visually blue.

Your roo is pretty.

Which Splash do you have? A Splash from a Blue to Blue breeding or a Wheaten Splash from a Blue Wheaten to Blue Wheaten breeding?
You will use the Splash in your breeding with the Blue and Black breeding program and use the Wheaten Splash with your breeding program of Blue Wheaten and Wheaten.

Here are my pics of our birds.
These two are Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Hens (turn a year mid April).

This is a Splash Wheaten Cock (turns a year mid April).

hie veryone i have 6 BBS whaeton chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. Thought it was time i joinded. Any idea how to tell color if it is BB or S?

hie veryone i have 6 BBS whaeton chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. Thought it was time i joinded. Any idea how to tell color if it is BB or S?

Welcome!
You should be able to tell at hatch. Blue will be sort of a gray with whitish tummy, black will be black with white tummy, splash will be sort of all over yellowish/white.

Someone with more experience will have to chime in on this. I know Wheatens are all yellow at hatch. As they feather in I think you can look at the back of the neck at the base and see some color or in the wings when you pull them out. I may have that confused.. I have babies too, but I have not had time to look them over... maybe tomorrow. I would like to know what colors I have too. I have 5 babies that could be BB or S and more in the mail... maybe tomorrow.

Seth's chicks are from me and they are either wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten
big_smile.png
It will be awhile before he will be able to tell what color they are.
Welcome!
You should be able to tell at hatch. Blue will be sort of a gray with whitish tummy, black will be black with white tummy, splash will be sort of all over yellowish/white.

Back
Top Bottom