Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have been reading the posts on breeding Ameraucana's. Are you all saying that you can only breed the same color birds to each other?
I am wondering because I only have one Ameraucana and I think it may be a roo.

Some work together. Blue black and splash breed true to each other. I believe Wheaten and Blue Wheaten do as well. But outside of the few exceptions, yes if you mix the colors they are no longer standard or showable.

I have been reading the posts on breeding Ameraucana's. Are you all saying that you can only breed the same color birds to each other?
I am wondering because I only have one Ameraucana and I think it may be a roo.

You should only breed the same color families together:

Black - Blue - Splash

or

Wheaten - Blue Wheaten - Splash Wheaten

etc.

These birds have the same genetic base, but have differing levels of dilution.

As soon as you start mixing the color families (like a Black rooster with a Wheaten hen) , you will have a bird who will not breed true (and who will not even look remotely like a standard Ameraucana color).
smile.png

Thank you jerryse and dfdesigns for answering my question. I love the chart you posted dfdesigns. I'm really looking forward to next year when I can hatch eggs from my own hens. Thanks again

You should only breed the same color families together:

Black - Blue - Splash

or

Wheaten - Blue Wheaten - Splash Wheaten

etc.

These birds have the same genetic base, but have differing levels of dilution.

As soon as you start mixing the color families (like a Black rooster with a Wheaten hen) , you will have a bird who will not breed true (and who will not even look remotely like a standard Ameraucana color).
smile.png
Thank you dfdesigns. I appreciate your help.

Splash Wheaten will not be possible with your current flock - you are absolutely correct. I saw this graphic on a FB list the other day, and it is very helpful to sort out B/B/S genetics.
wow! This is super cool, thanks so much for sharing! I think I'll order some splashes sometime soon by the looks of it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom