Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Do only pure Ameraucana have the lighter colored feet underneath? I'm particularly wondering about blue wheaten pullets or if an EE look alike could have lighter color underneath their feet as well. Thanks! Sorry, I did search the site, but as usual I read conflicted info so I thought Id come to those most knowledgeable. Thanks!

Do only pure Ameraucana have the lighter colored feet underneath? I'm particularly wondering about blue wheaten pullets or if an EE look alike could have lighter color underneath their feet as well. Thanks! Sorry, I did search the site, but as usual I read conflicted info so I thought Id come to those most knowledgeable. Thanks!

Are you talking about the skin color on the underside of the feet? They should have the slate legs, blacks have black, but because of their white skin the underside of there feet are white. It is the same for a bird that has yellow skin, the underside of their feet would be yellow. So yes you want the underside of the foot to be white.

Will an EEs underside of feet be white too? I have a 3 1/2 month pullet that I thought was an EE but I checked today and her underside of feet is white pinky white colored. She went through a state of having sort of green legs but they look slatish now. She's either an EE or a Buff/blue wheaten Ameraucana

Will an EEs underside of feet be white too? I have a 3 1/2 month pullet that I thought was an EE but I checked today and her underside of feet is white pinky white colored. She went through a state of having sort of green legs but they look slatish now. She's either an EE or a Buff/blue wheaten Ameraucana

Yes, it's possible for an EE to have white skin. 4 of my hatchery EEs even have white skin.

The white skin alone does not make her an Ameraucana. She would have to fit the breed standard to be an Ameraucana, especially her color variety. As per ABC "policy", even the buff/blue cross would be an EE.

What are you trying to do with this chicken? What is the reason you are concerned with her skin/foot color? If she is going to be an awesome egg layer, there is an EE braggers forum.

Just trying to see what she is so I know. And sorry I meant buff or blue not a cross btw the two. She's my favorite pullet and just trying to learn more. I appreciate the help. I wNt a few pure Ameraucanas in my flock and I'm learning so much here. :)

Hey all!! I've got a nest of 10 nice blue-shelled Ameraucana eggs hatching under a broody today from a hobby breeder who is a friend of mine. She is not breeding for specific colors- just has several colors in a pen together (yes I realize if they come out non-standard colors they are technically considered EE's even though the parents are purebred Ameraucanas- but you don't get much info about color genetics in the EE thread since they are so much more varied/diverse, so I thought this was a good place to ask... being that the parents are purebred. I'm not looking to start a breeding program, so these are mostly going to be beautiful pets & layers :) ).

Here's my first hatchling- I don't think she is a standard color based on the breed website (the chick photos vs adult photos). She does have the slate (not green) legs, pea comb, etc. Any idea on what color she will turn out or what the parents might be?

I remember her telling me weeks ago that the rooster was a light color (can't remember- I think either wheaton, splash or white, but I will try to find out), and the hens were all breed standard colors. I'm not sure which combination produced this chick. I'm sure it's not really possible to tell which hen laid which egg either- the eggs are all an equally pretty blue.

Thoughts?

I will post more later if it's acceptable to do that... if I get any other interesting colors. Chick #2 of 10 is still drying under her big broody PBR momma :)

Last edited:
I've got a Splash Ameraucana that is about 3 months old. I bought it at 9 weeks, both the breeder and I thought it was a pullet, but now I'm not totally sure. I'm not an expert on Ameraucanas by any means, and the splash color means that its harder to sex, so if people can weigh in I'd be very grateful. Also, especially if it *is* a roo, I'd like to get some opinions on the quality of the bird, so I know if I should bother to try to find someone who would want him for breeding, or if I should just put him in the pot.

Here are some pics of my five week old Ameracanas. If anyone can tell if they are boys or girls any responses are appreciated.

Cheeky,

Chirp,

BamBam,

Back
Top Bottom