Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Not much experience here. I can make a comment about something I noticed. Looks like you have some white earlobes going on. Not something you want in your birds. I remember reading somewhere on this thread about that being a problem with hens in this breed. Hope someone with more experience comments soon.

I noticed that too, but the SOP says, "COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EARLOBES: Red, except female earlobes to be very pale, matching color of skin." So that makes me feel a little better?

Angela

Anyone want to guess what kind of (adult) feathering this little Cauna will turn out to have? They were such cute chicks I totally neglected to ask, blinded by cuteness I guess...total impulse buy...
[/IMG]

Also I'm aware this chick is mostly Cauna but probably not PB as the legs are yellow but the rumpless factor puts her high up for Cauna factor. considered posting in EE thread but again, no rump...sorry, can't figure out how to edit or delete post or I would have moved it myself.

No, they do not show any signs of sickness, they act like normal healthy chicks.
Mine do too, but they have that same look and I just happen to own a microscope and a bottle of fecasol, so I did a fecal and, low and behold, roundworms. Not trying to be picayune, but it just struck me when I saw the pic of your "splash", maybe just the lighting.

OK - I'm posting pics of my hens and older pullets. Keep in mind, I yoinked them off a roost in the dark and put them in front of a camera, so none of them are really standing in a natural stance. It's more the "deer in the headlights" stance.
ep.gif
And condition is pretty cruddy on the hens, as they were recently in with an aggressive male, and several are molting I think.

Any notes on them would be appreciated.

Hen 1

Hen 2 - this one is wild - I had to chase her down throughout my house

Hen 38 - I've never noticed the white tips on her tail until the pic - I think it's the camera. I would've noticed white tail...

Older Blue Hen - my original Ameraucana

Pullet Orange

Pullet Pink

Pullet Yellow

Pullet Blue (blue leg band - not variety ;) )

Thanks for looking (and commenting).
Angela
I like the type of the bottom four the best. How do you like those zip tie leg bands? I was looking at those on ebay, but wasn't sure......

I like the type of the bottom four the best. How do you like those zip tie leg bands? I was looking at those on ebay, but wasn't sure......

I'm just using plain old zip ties for now so I can tell them apart. Once I get into it more (and get to a show where bands are sold), I'll get some "real" ones.

Angela

OK - I'm posting pics of my hens and older pullets. Keep in mind, I yoinked them off a roost in the dark and put them in front of a camera, so none of them are really standing in a natural stance. It's more the "deer in the headlights" stance.
ep.gif
And condition is pretty cruddy on the hens, as they were recently in with an aggressive male, and several are molting I think.

Any notes on them would be appreciated.

Hen 1

Hen 2 - this one is wild - I had to chase her down throughout my house

Hen 38 - I've never noticed the white tips on her tail until the pic - I think it's the camera. I would've noticed white tail...

Older Blue Hen - my original Ameraucana

Nice eye, balanced neck, a little mossy but love her lacing
Pullet Orange

balanced neck, nice green sheen, nice lacing in parts.

Pullet Pink

Nice eye, nice neck, nice hack coverage, beard and muffs look ok

Pullet Yellow
Best muff and beard, nice eye, neck, nice hack coverage, lovely lacing and green sheen

Pullet Blue (blue leg band - not variety ;) )

Thanks for looking (and commenting).
Angela
Some of these notes are just my observation. Photos are difficult to judge and I am not a judge or qualified for anything other than my opinion. On first glance I like the yellow band. I am taking into consideration many things. Her tail is impossible to see. I do like the structure I do see, she looks full bodied and trim. I like feather quality. I do like the *healthy* look of the bird. Other than a tail that looks too short and is not held at the correct degree I like that bird. Those things can be because of one picture and angle of shot. I like the pink bird next. I wish she was standing up and not squatting too like first pick. I also like this bird and like the shot of the tail is better. I imagine them running in the yard with the tails held correctly and it works out in my head anyway. I have to guess by the top line it is correct and of the correct length. I am torn between these two birds. Each one has a few things I like. One has a strong looking front end and one has a stronger looking rear end.
Then we go to my next pick and it is not really a good bird, but I like it and that is the blue bird. Your original one. Her age did not moss out her lacing. I love her lacing. The edge of delicacy in that darker color is hard to get if you do not have it. It makes each and every feather so distinct. it is nature at its best. Something so delicate and beautiful. To me that is the art of creation. Yes she is discolored and has staining, but her lacing shines threw. Her color is dull and not quite right, but that lacing..hmm..nice. I would like to color that little blob of white though. Too big and too white is is almost shocking among that beautiful lacing. I still like her. She has the best chest next to my first choice.

Again I am not a judge..I am an average person who reads the SOP and goes to a few shows here and there. You could have an excellent bird hidden in the pictures and i did not see it with my eye.

I hope others chime in so I can learn more.

I actually agree with you - Pink and Yellow were my favorites too. There's something about them that just attracts me to them. Yellow has some heft to her, and both have a good, healthy appearance. Yeah, my original blue hen is a keeper whether she is "good" or not. She's a sweetie.

I'm discovering as I inspect these birds further that the older hens at least are wormy. Pretty sure #2 has gapeworm, as she is hiccuping frequently, and gaping. And my younger chicks were overcrowded and may have ammonia trouble. Sigh.

I am really tempted to chuck the hens (after worming them) and most of the younger ones to the sales barn. Even if I manage to "heal" them of their health issues, they will not show or breed well, is my thinking.

I'd rather start over with healthy, clean stock of small numbers rather than work through issues with a large number in the hopes that I'll find that "diamond in the rough."

Angela

Back
Top Bottom