Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Is it possible to get a cockerel into show condition while still allowing him to free range? He's a blue, so is suspect sun bleaching would rule that out. I'm in Texas and am aiming for shows after October.

I've just started free ranging them. My pit bull-type dog has been really good with them. The mini Dachshunds, after a killing spree while in the care of my son while I was on vacation, are leaving them alone. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the cockerels are so much bigger than the little Dachshunds now. (Dachshunds are not outside without supervision when the chickens are out.) I've been letting my parrots out to fly while I take care of the chickens in the morning. The macaws are excellent at alerting to avian predators. Between the macaws and the big dog, the chickens are probably reasonably safe outside. The macaws have been quite interested in the chickens. I had been hoping to be able to house the chickens in the aviaries so they could clean up the very expensive organic parrot food that the parrots throw on the ground. The other day, the big scarlet macaw went to ground near the chickens. Two of the cockerels (4.5 months old) fluffed up their hackles and flew at the bird. It was pretty funny. Not sure how safe any of the birds will be if housed together.
I don't know on the free-ranging and show condition - but I suspect feather damage is too easy when out and about, and sun bleaching is also not good... You will probably also want to make sure he gets high protein/high oil content to bring make his feathers glossy and strong. You can also "cage train" him so he will show to advantage when in the cages at the show. Keep him in a cage like the ones at the show, feed him an water him and give him treats every time you pass by - that way he will look alert when anybody passes his cage.. like the judge.... Also handle him, take him out and put him back in. Have somebody else do it too. A bird that panics and attacks the judge does not make good points... All of this was gleaned from the Silkie Show thread, I do not show my birds... yet....

The only concern I would have in housing them together is are there any shared diseases that from one could kill the other? Can Macaws carry something that could hurt the chickens? Or vise-versa?

Thank you. The picture doesn't give her justice. She has a lot of green...well I guess I will bring her to shows..yahooo.

Jerryse...about the comb...is it ok or not. I'm not sure I understand it right ;-)

Yes, my Splits have a beautiful green to them too. Did you get your birds from John Blehm? That's where I got mine.

I think Jerry is saying the comb actually looks good. Peacombs are not always straight when they grow - I think he was expecting something that looked like an L or a C - that comb is relatively straight and the twists are even and balance it out well..

I know nothing about the wheaten coloring either, and what changes as they go through their adult molts. To me he looks like a pretty rooster..

Just joking no prob at all ;-)

lau.gif

It so hard to tell attitude from forums. I don't know all the shortcuts for emoticons on the mobile devices - I missed the :p.

I went back and checked your hen again - her comb looks fine, and once she grows out of the gangly neck stage she should be really pretty.

The only concern I would have in housing them together is are there any shared diseases that from one could kill the other? Can Macaws carry something that could hurt the chickens? Or vise-versa?
I spoke to my avian vet about it. He's a research vet, specializing in falcons. He also loves chickens. He wasn't worried. They are out in aviaries 24/7 and I really don't worry too much about wild birds causing disease.

I spoke to my avian vet about it. He's a research vet, specializing in falcons. He also loves chickens. He wasn't worried. They are out in aviaries 24/7 and I really don't worry too much about wild birds causing disease.
Do you have a problem with sparrows eating your chickens food? I have pens in my barn and the sparows come in and eat some of their food. I dont know if this something I should be worried about or not. I could put fence all around the pens, and cover the tops with bird netting (outside pens are already covereed just no inside), but that would take a lot of time and money.

Do you have a problem with sparrows eating your chickens food? I have pens in my barn and the sparows come in and eat some of their food. I dont know if this something  I should be worried about or not. I could put fence all around the pens, and cover the tops with bird netting (outside pens are already covereed just no inside), but that would take a lot of time and money.

Here I don't...the only problem that I have is my dog eating the poo yark!!!

Here's another pix of my split ;-) you will see the comb better and the colouring. Also pictures of my 2 lavander girls. Unfortunatly I think I will have to cull since I got 1 egg in the past 4 or 5 months...I waited and waited and have no idea why??? Suggestions?

uhena6uq.jpg

ereguvep.jpg

e4y7e7aj.jpg

8enu6aha.jpg

ja5abyge.jpg

These guys are beautiful. I think I have two boys and 4 girls, I hope I have no more then two boys(the two boys have pink/reddish combs already). My wheaten boy has stolen my heart. I sit inside their makeshift outside pen daily(they are still inside the house in their brooder). The male wheaten comes over and walks onto my hand to be held. He will stay if he is non aggressive once his hormones are in. I need a sky watcher for my hens.

All my Ameraucana's have been the best in my flock. My two splash love to snuggle in my arms. Those two are inseparable. My black hen is more skittish then the rest, but she lays the bluest eggs I've ever seen.
e9y4u4am.jpg

4evanaqy.jpg

My rooster that I rehomed. My older hens were beating him up and it was too stressful, he was too submissive. I do miss him very much.
evyseqy7.jpg

Wow, how pretty they are. Mine are an ugly brown with a little yellow. Even other people say how ugly they are. I will find some prettier girls next spring. Thanks for the pics.

Back
Top Bottom