Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Do Lavenders tend to have less muff/beard?

If a bird only has one copy of the gene, the beard and muff will be smaller. Sometimes just a little bit, but when you compare the birds side by side you will see it.

In a way I think she answered your question. Lavender is a project color still correct? Seems like a relatively recent cross which would result in a lot of split beard/muff genes. From what I have read Lav can also have poor feather quality which I imagine would contribute as well.

Get rid of anything with obvious lack of beard and muff in your younger birds. Then go to your breeding pen and check your hens. This is best done when roosting. You can compare them and there just might be one or two that are only carrying one copy of the gene. This unfortunately means your cock/cockerel only has one copy and I would advise getting rid of him too.
I'm pretty sure I know which hen is the culprit and she will be culled. Here is a pic of two of my hens in the breeding pen. I will also be culling the cock in this pen, because, as you said, he also must only have one copy of the gene, or all of the chicks would have had at least some muff and beard. I don't have a picture of him, but all the hens have pecked out his beard and muffs, so you couldn't tell anything anyway.

Thanks Jean!

Last edited:
Hi

I need help any one I have 14 Ameracana hens and one rooster and they are about 21 weeks old and I have just been given by my friend two Sultans Rooster 12 weeks old can I put them together in the same chicken coop?

Thank you for any feed back!

Just thought I'd jump on this thread since we are starting into raising Ameraucanas. We have a bunch of young stock we're planning to breed next year and I'm still learning about the genetics and standards.
jumpy.gif

If you do, you better watch the roosters carefully. The older one will likely establish his dominance over the younger ones. They will need a place to hide or get away. You may even lose one if he is too persistant. They would be better off if they were not caged or penned at all because they could keep their distance from him. Initially, I would put them in a pen beside the other pen for several days so they can see each other but not reach each other. It will give the new ones a chance to get used to their surroundings without the additional stress of the pecking order.
Hi 

I need help any one I have 14 Ameracana hens and one rooster and they are about 21 weeks old and I have just been given by my friend two Sultans Rooster 12 weeks old can I put them together in the same chicken coop?

Thank you for any feed back!

Last edited:
Hey everyon! I'm in southern NY and will be looking for an Ameraucana cockeral/rooster soon. Do any of you breed them near me or know someone who does? I'm looking for a color besides the solid colors (Wheaton, blue Wheaton ect) and preferably vaccinated but not necessary. Doesn't have to be show quality, just want a nice rooster with nice coloring. PM me with any info. Thank you :)

I just picked up 3 Ameraucana hens (wheaten, blue wheaten, and splash). They are about 1 year old. I have already gotten 2 different eggs from them. I am a bit disappointed by their color (or lack thereof). The breeder is on the national Ameraucana breeders list, so I assumed all of their eggs were supposed to be blue. The egg I saw laying in their barn/loft was as blue as could be. Please look at the below eggs and let me know what you think. The left 2 eggs are from my Easter Eggers (I consider both eggs to be green) and the right 2 are from my new girls. Number 3 egg seems to be almost as green as the EE's and the far right one is almost white. I am so confused. Any thoughts? I haven't seen what the third girl will produced as of yet. I have only had them since Saturday, so not sure if stress would have affected the whitish one (maybe more calcium added?).

Any thoughts would be appreciated from the Ameraucana folks. Thanks!

Wendy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom