Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

The green eggs are Easter Eggers, right? I have two sweeties that are non standard colors. The lady I got them from breed an assortment of colors together. They are cool looking, but I would love to know why Fasschicks ladies are doing the green and white eggs.

The 2 on the left are my EE's and the 2 on the right are from my new Ameraucanas. Yeah, I am just baffled by it. Figured if I went to someone on the Ameraucana breeder registry, they would all be blue eggs. Hopefully one of them will lay today.

Wendy

When my ladies first started their eggs were very light, almost white, see below.

But once they got rolling the blue deepened, but still not to the vivid blue I see in some people's pictures, I think that comes with selective breeding for egg color. Mine even look green under fluorescent lights but in daylight they're a pale blue. It's a very hard color to capture correctly on camera.

A green egg could also occur if a breeder introduced brown layer genes somewhere along the line to increase production.

I will be really disappointed if he had brown genes added somewhere. I asked him several times if they all laid the blue eggs. When I went to pick them up, he randomly picked them out of the group when I told him what I wanted. I was sooooo excited for blue eggs. Thanks for the input.

Wendy

I will be really disappointed if he had brown genes added somewhere. I asked him several times if they all laid the blue eggs. When I went to pick them up, he randomly picked them out of the group when I told him what I wanted. I was sooooo excited for blue eggs. Thanks for the input.

Wendy
Most breeders don't focus too much on the egg color, they prefer to focus on the standard set by the SOP. egg color is not included in the SOP.

Got some wheaten ameraucana chicks. They were overnight shipped to me with barnevelders a sweedish flower hens. 6 out of the 19 chicks were the wheaten . They all looked ok when I got them. I noticed they were much smaller then the barnevelders but had more wing feathering. They all hatched in the same incubator within 24 hours of each other. One seemed very small and lethargic by that evening. I held it and offered it some water from a cup which it took and seemed to do better. I was expecting the runt to die but they seemed to do better after that. Them I noticed several of them looked like they had split wing. Then I noticed pasty butt on them. They eat and drink but seem weak and lethargic. One died last night. I expect more will die also. I got them from a breeder not a hatchery. I'm really curious about their wings. Is it split wing or weak wing. Does it take a long time for the axile feathers to grow. Why are just the ameraucana chicks not doing well while the rest are doing great.
Here is a pic of the wing of the chick who died

Here is a pick of all of them

Here is a pic of 2 of the better looking ones but the wing of the one in front still does not look right

Here is a pic of one with bad looking wing

Here it is up close

Here is one of the others that looks normal when the wing is closed

What do you all think could be going on with my sad bunch of chickens. Any info would help. Also anyone know what sex they might be?

Got some wheaten ameraucana chicks. They were overnight shipped to me with barnevelders a sweedish flower hens. 6 out of the 19 chicks were the wheaten . They all looked ok when I got them. I noticed they were much smaller then the barnevelders but had more wing feathering. They all hatched in the same incubator within 24 hours of each other. One seemed very small and lethargic by that evening. I held it and offered it some water from a cup which it took and seemed to do better. I was expecting the runt to die but they seemed to do better after that. Them I noticed several of them looked like they had split wing. Then I noticed pasty butt on them. They eat and drink but seem weak and lethargic. One died last night. I expect more will die also. I got them from a breeder not a hatchery. I'm really curious about their wings. Is it split wing or weak wing. Does it take a long time for the axile feathers to grow. Why are just the ameraucana chicks not doing well while the rest are doing great.
Here is a pic of the wing of the chick who died
Here is a pick of all of them
Here is a pic of 2 of the better looking ones but the wing of the one in front still does not look right

Here is a pic of one with bad looking wing
Here it is up close
Here is one of the others that looks normal when the wing is closed
What do you all think could be going on with my sad bunch of chickens. Any info would help. Also anyone know what sex they might be?
I hope you don't mind me asking why they are out on the grass? Shipping is hard on chicks and they should be left in the brooder with a heat lamp, vitamin water and limited handling until they are strong.

I hope they make it.
fl.gif

I took them out to take the pictures. I was using my tablet and it needs really good lighting to take good pics. They weren't out long.
Too stressful to move them around when they are weak. Ameraucana chicks can be more fragile than other LF breeds, especially being shipped. Rooster booster probiotic in their water, scramble egg and a finely ground whole grain cereal (uncooked) which they love and chick grit helps with pasty butt.

Wings look normal for that age. Even wing feather length tend to be boys.

Hope this helps
smile.png

This is the cereal I use. You can get it at some grocery and health food stores.

Back
Top Bottom