Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Yes, it did and I'm sure grateful that those folks took the time to start this breed.

I'm also very grateful to all those who are/and have been working to improve what was started over 30 years ago.  It thrills me to see the improvement in the Ameraucanas across the board, as evidenced by how often they are seen on Champion Row at the shows recently.
It's a beautiful breed, and I am so excited about working with them. I'm setting my first batch tomorrow to get my first generation of the scflock line :thumbsup

For more of the story read the "Ameraucanas" article, by John Blehm.
http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/DnLd/Ameraucanas.pdf

OK, I am confused (again). John's article says both Ameraucana and Araucana were developed from EEs. But the Araucana breed originally came from Chile, no? Or are we now confusing the rumpless tufted blue laying birds imported in the earlier part of the 20th century with some "mutts" that developed from them, then were bred for a specific SOP and are still being called Araucana but are NOT the same as "original" Araucana imported previously? In that case I don't think they should be using the name Araucana (even though the original was never an APA breed) since they are NOT the same. Just adds to the confusion.

I do understand that there were both rumpless tufted and birds that look like what we now call EEs laying blue eggs in the 60's and those interested in both "styles" forked and today's Ameraucanas were developed from the muffed, bearded and tailed birds.

OK, I am confused (again). John's article says both Ameraucana and Araucana were developed from EEs. But the Araucana breed originally came from Chile, no? Or are we now confusing the rumpless tufted blue laying birds imported in the earlier part of the 20th century with some "mutts" that developed from them, then were bred for a specific SOP and are still being called Araucana but are NOT the same as "original" Araucana imported previously? In that case I don't think they should be using the name Araucana (even though the original was never an APA breed) since they are NOT the same. Just adds to the confusion.

I do understand that there were both rumpless tufted and birds that look like what we now call EEs laying blue eggs in the 60's and those interested in both "styles" forked and today's Ameraucanas were developed from the muffed, bearded and tailed birds.

The tufted rumpless were created from existing land races present in South America . All traits were not in one type I forget the doctor's name . He combined all these traits into one bird . If I remember correctly the blue egg gene came from a single combed race . Anyway pea comb was proven to travel with the blue egg gene . So that is what breeders in the USA have stayed with .

ep.gif
What?? I don't believe it! I've heard others say they have had sightings, but I need proof!

LOL

Ok! I didn't get it at first! lol
gig.gif
So I looked it up and you have beautiful birds! It is good to have so many people on this thread that know what they are doing.So people like me that are just starting out can learn from the best!

It's a beautiful breed, and I am so excited about working with them. I'm setting my first batch tomorrow to get my first generation of the scflock line
thumbsup.gif

Awsome! I hope you get a good hatch! Must take pictures when they hatch! How are you keeping track of the eggs? different pens? Eggs with better blue and so forth?

The tufted rumpless were created from existing land races present in South America . All traits were not in one type I forget the doctor's name . He combined all these traits into one bird . If I remember correctly the blue egg gene came from a single combed race . Anyway pea comb was proven to travel with the blue egg gene . So that is what breeders in the USA have stayed with .

Thank you Jerry! It is good to get info from someone that helped get the breed started! I have a lot to learn! I am learning more and more every day.

Ok! I didn't get it at first! lol  :gig So I looked it up and you have beautiful birds! It is good to have so many people on this thread that know what they are doing.So people like me that are just starting out can learn from the best!

Thank you! But I can't take credit for all of them. I've been working on the wheatens and blue wheatens for about 4 years, but the blacks came from Paul Smith and Clif Redden.

Thank you! But I can't take credit for all of them. I've been working on the wheatens and blue wheatens for about 4 years, but the blacks came from Paul Smith and Clif Redden.

They are beautiful! I love this breed! They are so pretty and my lavender roo is so friendly! My splash roo is not so friendly! At first he challenged me a couple times but has been doing good now!

Back
Top Bottom