Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

If you breed Wheaten with blue your chicks will be considered EEs since they will have unrecognized color patterns and won't breed true.

Keep blue, black and splash together, and separate from the Wheatens. ( Wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten). They are two different color families and shouldn't be mixed.

If you breed Wheaten with blue your chicks will be considered EEs since they will have unrecognized color patterns and won't breed true.

Keep blue, black and splash together, and separate from the Wheatens. ( Wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten). They are two different color families and shouldn't be mixed.

Thank you for that bit of information!!! I'll be sure to get a wheaten for my boy then and a black/blue/splash roo for the pullet with the best attributes. Which of these girls should I use when I get the male for her? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you for that bit of information!!! I'll be sure to get a wheaten for my boy then and a black/blue/splash roo for the pullet with the best attributes. Which of these girls should I use when I get the male for her? Thanks.
You're welcome. I'll leave the evaluation of the pullets to those with more experience. I'm still new to the breed.

Last edited:
Thank you for that bit of information!!! I'll be sure to get a wheaten for my boy then and a black/blue/splash roo for the pullet with the best attributes. Which of these girls should I use when I get the male for her? Thanks.
Kay, with the 'gypsy face', might be useful for breeding to a male that is slightly leaky. Overall, none of the girls are terrible quality. I think Wormy and Jay have slightly better builds than Kay.

I don't plan on showing them, but I would like to breed some pure Ameraucanas for people who are interested in getting blue layers. Recently I got a very nice wheaten from a breeder and I was wondering if my girls were good enough to breed with him and actually call their offspring Ameraucanas. I don't want to be 'one of those seller' that doesn't care about standards.

@pips&peeps - are dark eyes bad?

Hi..you do realize if you breed that cockerel to your blue hens, you will have EEs? If you want to stay with true Ameraucanas, you need to get some nice wheaten or blue wheaten pullets to breed to him. When you start crossing varieties, you end up with a genetic pool of traits from all the various breeds that made up those varieties, since each Ameraucana variety was developed individually and by bringing in colors and patterns from different other breeds.

Hi..you do realize if you breed that cockerel to your blue hens, you will have EEs? If you want to stay with true Ameraucanas, you need to get some nice wheaten or blue wheaten pullets to breed to him. When you start crossing varieties, you end up with a genetic pool of traits from all the various breeds that made up those varieties, since each Ameraucana variety was developed individually and by bringing in colors and patterns from different other breeds.

@FridayYet said sort of the same thing...

Now that I know that crossing a wheaten and a blue will create EE's due to their background differences, I may cross them just once to show my kids how crazy genetics can be. But I will definitely need some wheaten (or blue wheaten) girls for Garfunkel. It looks like you and I will have to meet again in the future.

There is so much to learn!

Last edited:
I don't plan on showing them, but I would like to breed some pure Ameraucanas for people who are interested in getting blue layers. Recently I got a very nice wheaten from a breeder and I was wondering if my girls were good enough to breed with him and actually call their offspring Ameraucanas. I don't want to be 'one of those seller' that doesn't care about standards.

@pips&peeps - are dark eyes bad?

They are supposed to have bay eyes. The females will pass the dark eye to her male offspring. You would need to make sure the male has bay eyes and hope that he is homozygous for the bay color.

Have you read the standard? There is a condensed version here:

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

But having the standard of perfection will give you the smaller details like eye color and has pages of reference for disqualifications and defects for all birds.

Have you read the standard? There is a condensed version here:

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

But having the standard of perfection will give you the smaller details like eye color and has pages of reference for disqualifications and defects for all birds.

I've read that page, but there are only a few specifics and I am so new to the breed that I feel like a complete idiot talking to everyone here. I assumed that different colors could be bred like gold and silver laced Wyandottes can, but apparently not. Thank you for the book reference. I really need to get that book.

Last edited:
I've read that page, but there are only a few specifics and I am so new to the breed that I feel like a complete idiot talking to everyone here. I assumed that different colors could be bred like gold and silver laced Wyandottes can, but apparently not. Thank you for the book reference. I really need to get that book.

You are not an idiot in any way... you asked questions... the day we think we know everything there is to know about anything is the day we will make complete idiots of ourselves... there's always more to learn, for all of us... :)

Back
Top Bottom