Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

lol. Treat time!

That explains it.
lol.png

I snapped new pics of Gypsy and Snow. Gypsy will be 9 in November and Snow was 8 yrs old in Feb-March sometime. Snow has terrible arthritis so a difficult time walking, but she manages. Gypsy still lays periodically. Snow hasn't in a year or so. They live a rooster-free existence with other ladies, some older than they are.

Last edited:
I snapped new pics of Gypsy and Snow. Gypsy will be 9 in November and Snow was 8 yrs old in Feb-March sometime. Snow has terrible arthritis so a difficult time walking, but she manages. Gypsy still lays periodically. Snow hasn't in a year or so. They live a rooster-free existence with other ladies, some older than they are.

That's amazing. You must take wonderful care of them if they are living to such an old age and still looking so healthy.
highfive.gif

Does anyone have a Blue Wheaten or Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel or rooster up to two years for sale? That would be able to ship to Vancouver, WA?

Last edited:
That's amazing. You must take wonderful care of them if they are living to such an old age and still looking so healthy.
highfive.gif

Thank you, but a lot of it is their good genetics. I had hatchery stock originally and all of those except one (my Buff Brahma, who we got a year after the first flock and is almost 10 yrs old-you see her in the photo with another over 9 yr old hen) died too early in spite of their care. I think it's really a combination of factors that add up to extended longevity, not only their genetics and their care but also, a low stress environment, i.e., safe, dry, predator-proof coops. But, I'm very happy that some of these wonderful hens are still with me.

Couple questions about my Wheatens... Just double checking, Splash Wheaten?
Looks like a blue wheaten pullet to me. I wouldn't worry about the "windswept" look at this age. Most of them grow out of it.
The reason I ask is because my other 2 BW pullets look like this (compare with the pullet above): #1
Right now she doesn't have much of a tail to compare with but here is the pullet in questions tail.

The reason I ask is because my other 2 BW pullets look like this (compare with the pullet above):

Right now she doesn't have much of a tail to compare with but here is the pullet in questions tail.
Blue wheatens can vary in color, just like blues can. It's really too early to tell much about her at this point.

Back
Top Bottom