Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote: That's odd - they laid one egg and no more since? How old are they? I thought you said they were born in March - but that would make them only 6 months old - barely old enough to be laying, and not from breeder stock. Or are the Lavenders a different age?

Mine were born February 26th of this year, and I have not seen any eggs from them, and their combs are still light pink. I do not expect any eggs for at least another month. The boys are still practicing crowing - two have started, two have not.
Quote:
hmm.png
Are you SURE yours are Ameraucanas and not Easter Eggers? Two different birds. Go look at the Easter Egger thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread/12300#post_11812607 Chipmunk chicks with brown and yellow very seldom are Ameraucanas - unless they are Silver and those are not very common. I don't think my EEs are ugly though - they are partridge patterned and can get really fancy. They also have started introducing blue(gray) to the hatchery stock, I think its pretty!

Chick N mamma...sorry for the confusion. My black one is born in marsh but the lavander one were born spring of 2012. They started laying at around 7 months...they layed all winter. One day in spring my dog went into the coop, but nothing happened, and I think they got scared. For the first months I taught it was ok but since then I got 1 egg...nothing else. You think that that their "scareness" (not sure it is the right word)..coukd have done that?

Chick N mamma...sorry for the confusion. My black one is born in marsh but the lavander one were born spring of 2012. They started laying at around 7 months...they layed all winter. One day in spring my dog went into the coop, but nothing happened, and I think they got scared. For the first months I taught it was ok but since then I got 1 egg...nothing else. You think that that their "scareness" (not sure it is the right word)..coukd have done that?

Hmm... if they aren't comfortable laying in the coop because a predator can get to them, then yes - it could do that. Did they panic and try to fly out of the roof? The being afraid (scareness) doesn't usually last months though - although I have seen it last 4 or 5 weeks because it turns off the egg production switch. You say you haven't had anything for 6 months now? Sounds like something else is wrong as well.

They look comfortable on the perch and not afraid, but their combs look light pink to me, which is a sign they are not laying.

Check their nesting boxes for mites or lice - sometimes the bugs hide and only come out when a bird is in the box - that will make them not want to go lay an egg too - and the bites from the pests can make them weaker. Sometimes they can get internal worms that will use up their energy instead of laying. Another thought - if they just came back from a heavy molt (did they loose a lot of feathers) they will stop laying while they re-grow them all. The one bird in the back's tail looks skimpy, perhaps she is still regrowing them?

If they laid all winter they are capable of doing so and the genetics are fine, we just need to discover why they stopped laying....

Well I have 25 birds in the coop. A lot of youth...but in the 4 hens that are suppose to lay those 2 aren't but my other 2 are laying....I didn't notice a big molt but I find her more beautifull like if they had more feathers so maybe that's it...one of them lay an egg 1 month a go I think and that's it. Hummmm They stop about 4 or 5 months ago.

Ho and in last May I put them in another coop....I forgot...another sign maybe..

Well I have 25 birds in the coop. A lot of youth...but in the 4 hens that are suppose to lay those 2 aren't but my other 2 are laying....I didn't notice a big molt but I find her more beautifull like if they had more feathers so maybe that's it...one of them lay an egg 1 month a go I think and that's it. Hummmm They stop about 4 or 5 months ago.

Ho and in last May I put them in another coop....I forgot...another sign maybe..

Ok, so a scare from the dog, a move to a different coop, and possibly a molt and they have better feathers now. Hopefully their combs will turn red again and they will give you more eggs soon! Do they lay pretty blue eggs?

I would say light blue...let me show you I think I have a pic on my cell...

The one on the left is a Chantecler egg and the other one an Amérau...

This is my pastel box as I like to call it...

Another pix of this time where I got a double yolk egg..bigger than the other.

Haha really? I just posted an auction yesterday for 12 large fowl Ameraucana BBS hatching eggs here on post 1516. Bid is at $15, to end tomorrow morning at 8 AM central time. Pictures are there on the post. If you don't win I may have another batch late this week.

ETA: I see you are in Oklahoma. If you want to take a drive up to Tulsa I am selling some or all of my show quality stock as I need to move soon. PM me if you want details.

Last edited:
Haha really?  I just posted an auction yesterday for 12 large fowl Ameraucana BBS hatching eggs here on post 1516.  Bid is at $15, to end tomorrow morning at 8 AM central time.  Pictures are there on the post.  If you don't win I may have another batch late this week.

ETA: I see you are in Oklahoma.  If you want to take a drive up to Tulsa I am selling some or all of my show quality stock as I need to move soon.  PM me if you want details.

Haha if only id of known!! My bf just came back to Tulsa from Norman today I could have made him pick them up. Stupid me. Ill check out your listing, thank ya

Back
Top Bottom