Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just want an opinion if these hens are indeed pure blooded Ams.

This hen hatched from an egg marked BBS Am, eggs are light baby blue.

This hen hatched from an eggs marked Wh Am, her eggs are much brighter bolder blue than the first hen.
They look beautiful to me and pretty much like the pics on the Ameracauna Breeders Club. http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html I am certainly not an expert, but rather a newbie on Ameracaunas. Mine are just five weeks old and I am anxiously awaiting them to grow!

Not sure if you saw it, but I sent you a private message. While my chicks are still babies, I suspect I am going to have extra blue, splash and possibly black cockerels. I am still not sure what I have with my lavs and wheatens. They are Paul Smith birds.

My Ameraucanas were born within a day or 2 of April 9th. So they are only a little more than a month old. My concern is with their flying. One of my girls can fly straight up off the ground to sit on my shoulder. I'm only 5'4 but I don't think she would have any trouble with the fence in our yard. I want them to be able to have free run of the back yard some of the time and not be inside chicken wire all the time. I understand it is too early to clip their wings because they do not have their adult feathers, so does anyone know of a way I can keep them from really flying for now? Any advice or insight would be great.
Thanks,
Nicole

My Ameraucanas were born within a day or 2 of April 9th.  So they are only a little more than a month old.  My concern is with their flying.  One of my girls can fly straight up off the ground to sit on my shoulder.  I'm only 5'4 but I don't think she would have any trouble with the fence in our yard.  I want them to be able to have free run of the back yard some of the time and not be inside chicken wire all the time.  I understand it is too early to clip their wings because they do not have their adult feathers, so does anyone know of a way I can keep them from really flying for now?  Any advice or insight would be great.
Thanks,
Nicole

You can't stop a fish from swimming, can't stop a bird from flying.
Most chickens fly from point A to point B, they fly up to a roost or down from a roost. If you make it to where they cannot land on the top of the fence they won't flyover usually. I recommend using 1X2s tacked at the top of the fence parallel to the fence and stretching light weight twine or wire across loose enough that they won't be able to land. You may tie ribbon to it to make sure they see it. It has worked for all of my chickens. But this is my first year with Ameraucana's

I just want an opinion if these hens are indeed pure blooded Ams.

This hen hatched from an egg marked BBS Am, eggs are light baby blue.

This hen hatched from an eggs marked Wh Am, her eggs are much brighter bolder blue than the first hen.

I have no experienced with the blue variety but the wheatens look washed out. Mine have a darker wheaten color and black tips on the tail and wings. They're probably pure but just not a very good quality.

My Ameraucanas were born within a day or 2 of April 9th. So they are only a little more than a month old. My concern is with their flying. One of my girls can fly straight up off the ground to sit on my shoulder. I'm only 5'4 but I don't think she would have any trouble with the fence in our yard. I want them to be able to have free run of the back yard some of the time and not be inside chicken wire all the time. I understand it is too early to clip their wings because they do not have their adult feathers, so does anyone know of a way I can keep them from really flying for now? Any advice or insight would be great.
Thanks,
Nicole
you can clip wings now; will just have to do it again when their adult feathers come in and every after molt. Just clip one wing, not both

I need some gender ID help. It's been a while since I had AM chicks. I kind of forget how they develop. I've some cockerels that were just VERY obvious.
One of the obvious cockerels

The following pictures are all of the same bird. I'd like to clarify that this is a pullet. It is 12 weeks old. I don't want to sell it as a pullet and be wrong!

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom