Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just went out to double check... the legs look like light slate but there is a greenish cast to it. The beaks are yellow. I bought them as Ameraucana eggs on eBay (I know... but I was desperate for blue eggs next winter/spring). The eggs were blue. The pictures of the parents were all chestnut splashed. It almost looks like the beginning of muffs and beads on their heads. I don't raise anything with muffs and beards but their heads don't look as smooth as my Spitz and Redcaps at that age. There are stray curved feathers on the ear and chin area.

The coloring does look like the sex link picts but the leg appears to be a different color. As chicks they were not yellow like the EE picts but the white ones certainly look a lot like them now.

This seems to happen a lot with birds sold as Ameaucana... they turn into mystery birds.

Last edited:
I just went out to double check... the legs look like light slate but there is a greenish cast to it. The beaks are yellow. I bought them as Ameraucana eggs on eBay (I know... but I was desperate for blue eggs next winter/spring). The  eggs were blue. The pictures of the parents were all chestnut splashed. It almost looks like the beginning of muffs and beads on their heads. I don't raise anything with muffs and beards but their heads don't look as smooth as my Spitz and Redcaps at that age. There are stray curved feathers on the ear and chin area.

The coloring  does look like the sex link picts but the leg appears to be a different color. As chicks they were not  yellow like the EE picts but the  white ones  certainly look a lot like them now.

This seems to happen a lot with birds sold as Ameaucana... they turn into mystery birds.

I think I've seen the eBay ad. They're supposed to be chestnut ameracaunas or something but technically they are EEs. They will still lay blue eggs though.

I just went out to double check... the legs look like light slate but there is a greenish cast to it. The beaks are yellow. I bought them as Ameraucana eggs on eBay (I know... but I was desperate for blue eggs next winter/spring). The eggs were blue. The pictures of the parents were all chestnut splashed. It almost looks like the beginning of muffs and beads on their heads. I don't raise anything with muffs and beards but their heads don't look as smooth as my Spitz and Redcaps at that age. There are stray curved feathers on the ear and chin area.

The coloring does look like the sex link picts but the leg appears to be a different color. As chicks they were not yellow like the EE picts but the white ones certainly look a lot like them now.

I think I saw the eBay listing . Last year they were listed as Chestnuts and Snow . A project at best . My best guess on the genetics is wheaten based with dominant white added . Yellow beaks and skin need to be bred out to be a serious project . Enjoy them as EE unless you want to become a serious breeder in a project . This would be a pyle based on wheaten . To improve you would need to breed to wheaten until you breed out the unwanted traits .

Last edited:
Are these Ameraucanas or EE? I was told they were Ameraucanas when we got them as chicks 2 years ago. They lay light, minty green eggs only. There were 2 more but something got to them. I got them from a local feed store who were told themselves that they were Ameraucanas.

Oh well. I had a feeling they were EE after everything I had been reading. I guess I'll have to go to a breeder if I want True Ameracaunas. Thank you. So the new chicks I just acquired are probably also EE. They are in my avatar. look just like these girls did and from same feed store. I like them anyways:)

So I checked out Ameraucana breeder association online and the chicks looked like Silvers. The adult females look like the 2 we lost. Except they layed green as well. does anyone know where I can find a True Ameraucana breeder? I live in south Florida.

So I checked out Ameraucana breeder association online and the chicks looked like Silvers. The adult females look like the 2 we lost. Except they layed green as well. does anyone know where I can find a True Ameraucana breeder? I live in south Florida.

Check the breeders list on the club web site . Many of the EE have a silver look . Most are a partridge like color but some carry silver . Yours are EE and probably have green legs . Ameraucana have slate legs . John Blehm in MI sells a lot of chicks but is done hatching for the year . Many breeders sell chicks or eggs . Myself included .

Back
Top Bottom