Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Getting over my head, but I'll tell you what I have read from some of the top breeders on the ABC forum. The best blacks come from a gold based black. That is what gives you the green sheen that is desirable in black birds. The best blues come from silver based birds and I don't know why they say that, but they do say that breeding blues to blue is the best way to maintain good lacing, if you can ever find good lacing. Most all blues except the Andalusians, do not have lacing, they have what is called egding. Compare a laced wyanndotte . Very pronounced, dark lacing. The thinking is that by breeding blues to blacks, you lose one of the genes that creates the lacing. You will still get a blue bird, but it might have edging, and not lacing... several people are working to get the lacing back in the blues...
I have 3 blue cockerels. I have three black hens, three splash hens and two blue hens. If I were to mate the blue cockerel to my black hens, chances are that I will get a black cockerel that I could eventually use with my black hens to get black on black and I will not have to worry about blue genes that I will have to work out. ( I don't have the time or patience). Or should I forget that and find a black cockerel/cock to use with my black hens when the time comes. My goal is to have a beautiful flock, not show or breeding, other than my own. Although, I will have to find something to do with my culls that does not include eating. My flock is from P Smith.

Last edited:
I have 3 blue cockerels. I have three black hens, three splash hens and two blue hens. If I were to mate the blue cockerel to my black hens, chances are that I will get a black cockerel that I could eventually use with my black hens to get black on black and I will not have to worry about blue genes that I will have to work out. ( I don't have the time or patience). Or should I forget that and find a black cockerel/cock to use with my black hens when the time comes. My goal is to have a beautiful flock, not show or breeding, other than my own. Although, I will have to find something to do with my culls that does not include eating. My flock is from P Smith.
If you use the blue cockerel on black hens and keep the resulting blacks, they will only produce blacks when bred black to black.....there are no blue genes to work out......A better plan would be to have multiple pens and rotate male offspring from pen to pen, never putting a male back in the pen he was bred from. Always put pullets back in the pen they came from. If you do this with 3 pens, you will never be breeding closely related birds...I would always keep a blue though, just cause it's my favorite color....

So, I am new... roll your eyes... then riddle me this : Is this li'l girl Ameraucana or Easter Egger? I heard there's no difference, I heard there is a difference... what do I have?? Thanks!!

There are three main breeds of colored layers that cause confusion, Ameraucana, Araucana, and the EE, which is a mix of one or both. There are also Cream Legbars that lay blue eggs. The main difference is the coloring and muffs on Ameraucanas, EE's tend to be barred or splotchy in color. As for Araucnas they tend to be rumpless (there are exceptions I think) and have adorable long-feathered tufts on their cheeks, they also tend to be more rare to come across.

We all start as newbies!!! It took me forever (and weeks of searching tons of breeders and sites!) to learn the difference.

Your little one is an EE, which are great layers that lay, blue, green, brown or even pink eggs!

Last edited:
There are three main breeds of colored layers that cause confusion, Ameraucana, Arucana, and the EE, which is a mix of one or both. There are also Cream Legbars that lay blue eggs. We all go through a time where we have to learn the difference.

Your little on is an EE, which are great layers that lay, blue, green, brown or pink eggs!

Thank you very much! I figured as much after some reading, but I figured I would put it to the experts for final review.

\They will always produce black if mated with another black. Sounds like a great explaination to me!

One thing I don't understand is why some here do not suggest mating splash to black to get blues? Some well respected breeders have said they get their best blues from that pairing. What's the downside?
I've heard the same...

Back
Top Bottom