Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

When she was just a chick she stopped eating and drinking. We kept her alive by dropper feeding her. Until we knew the sex, she was named Lazarus. She was always undersized compared to the rest of the flock. As she grew we noticed her wings were split, one foot turned in and she was a little lopsided. Then she started twirling in circles whenever she was anxious, usually when other chickens were nearby. Two of the roosters picked on her a lot. They are no more. So that is what I mean when I say "special needs". Thanks for the advice. I will keep her separated for a while. She just seems so lonely.
You might want to find her a young Ameraucana pullet to bond (keep them separate from the others until they bond) with and be her friend/support. I have two young Ameraucana pullets I hatched this year that get picked on because they are so shy. They run and scream when they feel threatened by the other chickens. This seems to make the other chickens go after them more because it is fun to chase them. They have found solace in each other and are becoming braver. They are the two in my Avatar.

This is my first year with purebred Ameraucana so I am still picking my jaw up off the floor. I hatched 8 chicks in two batches of eggs from Pam & Cody Padilla (Padilla's Peeps). I kept a blue and a black cockerel from the first hatch. I took them to the open show at the AZ State Fair. There were a LOT of Ameraucana there, in several varieties; possibly the largest breed class there.

My black cockerel was best of variety, reserve of breed, reserve large fowl and reserve AOSB.

A better pic of him from August.

The real shocker was my blue; best of variety, best of breed, best large fowl, best AOSB AND Show REserve!

With so much competition in their classes I really never expected them to get much of anything, let alone go so far! I have a couple of blue pullets coming along and will be hatching chicks after the girls are laying. But yea, wow!

Congratultions!

They are just beautiful. I thought about getting her a "friend", but pullets are hard to come by without also getting a rooster, and I have had enough of roosters. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is my first year with purebred Ameraucana so I am still picking my jaw up off the floor. I hatched 8 chicks in two batches of eggs from Pam & Cody Padilla (Padilla's Peeps). I kept a blue and a black cockerel from the first hatch. I took them to the open show at the AZ State Fair. There were a LOT of Ameraucana there, in several varieties; possibly the largest breed class there.

My black cockerel was best of variety, reserve of breed, reserve large fowl and reserve AOSB.

The real shocker was my blue; best of variety, best of breed, best large fowl, best AOSB AND Show REserve!

With so much competition in their classes I really never expected them to get much of anything, let alone go so far! I have a couple of blue pullets coming along and will be hatching chicks after the girls are laying. But yea, wow!
Congratulations, they are beautiful birds!

Anyone in the East Tennessee/Western North Carolina area interested in a Blue AM Cockerel. Mine are Paul Smith birds and I have three blue cockerels. They will be 27 weeks old tomorrow. I will be keeping two but I surely do not need three and I am incapable of instituting freezer camp. I could give him away locally, but they are too beautiful to just be the lot rooster.

I would be willing to drive half way, up to about 100 miles just for him to get a good home. Can't get pictures today as I will need help in holding him. I have them separated from the girls.

I'm in the same boat - 4 out of five of my blue Smith chicks were cockerals...lost one but still have 3 lovely boys and not enough hens for all of them. I'm in south central Pa in case any fanciers are interested. Wonderfully sweet birds - come to me looking for food, let me pick them up whenever I want, get along well w/o ever a squabble. Were free ranged all summer until the hawks appeared and now confined sadly 24/7.

Anyone in the East Tennessee/Western North Carolina area interested in a Blue AM Cockerel. Mine are Paul Smith birds and I have three blue cockerels. They will be 27 weeks old tomorrow. I will be keeping two but I surely do not need three and I am incapable of instituting freezer camp. I could give him away locally, but they are too beautiful to just be the lot rooster.

I would be willing to drive half way, up to about 100 miles just for him to get a good home. Can't get pictures today as I will need help in holding him. I have them separated from the girls.
I will message you. I am interested in the cockerel.

Congratulations!!

Back
Top Bottom