Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Since we are on the subject, I have noticed that my 10 week old Ameraucana seems to have weepiness under her eyes since her muffs have gotten fuller. Is this usually an issue with this breed? The tops of her muffs are always a little moist now. Should I be doing anything to keep her face healthy?

I just got this 3 mo old Ameraucana pullet. What is this color called? Is this the color she'll be as a hen or will she change as she gets older? Thanks for the help.

Mary Poopins -

Is it actual weeping eyes, or perhaps just getting the muff wet while drinking and eating? My Ameraucanas that have a full muff and beard get all wet there when they are free ranging in the green, wet pastures this time of year. But, if the eyes are acutally weeping you may have a sinus respiratory disease. Any sneezing, head shaking?

Is it actual weeping eyes, or perhaps just getting the muff wet while drinking and eating? My Ameraucanas that have a full muff and beard get all wet there when they are free ranging in the green, wet pastures this time of year. But, if the eyes are acutally weeping you may have a sinus respiratory disease. Any sneezing, head shaking?
The moisture is coming from her eyes. It's just a little lining the underside of her eyeballs. Maybe I'll get her to the vet to check for respiratory issues. She hasn't been sneezing or shaking her head. When she's out foraging her muffs get wet from that, too, but it's different than what I'm talking about. I thought maybe some of the muff feathers were up in her eyes irritating them.

Here she is last night, getting in the cuddles. Can you see the darker grey under her eyes? That is the weepy stuff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom