Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hey my friends I have a question for you! Can we build our Ameraucana pens on a patch of ground where we used to feed wild birds? I have googled & searched the site & cant find an answer.
The spot would be very good for the coop & run. What about immunity? Bird flu? Etc. Do I need to worry or can we build there? We used to feed so many birds!!!!! 100s a day would come & land, large flocks all at once!!
So is it safe guys? PLEASE offer your advice!

Are you talking song birds or migrating birds? Far as I know, the bird flu issue is migrating ducks and geese, not local chickadees.

And would these pens be totally enclosed in screen so no local bird or disease transmitting mosquitoes can get in? Lots of poultry diseases are transmitted other than having the birds on ground that other birds have used.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Have you had chickens foraging in the area before without issues? Do you live where Avian Flu has been found? Have your birds ever shown signs of communicable diseases?

My uninformed question is, can you overthink this?

I would first cut the grass and weeds short and rake them away.  Let the sun do it's job at disinfecting the soil.  Add some agricultural lime and till it in.  Build the area up with sand and then build.
Depending on your needs my "bantam condos" may work well for your patch of ground.  They are designed to house 10-12 bantams each, but could be modified to house 4-6 large fowl.
http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=256.0.
It's already bare dirt there..DH is going to build them(coop & run) from scratch. The birds will have to be confined due to our very flat & treeless land... No, its more like sparrows, & the type.

Are you talking song birds or migrating birds? Far as I know, the bird flu issue is migrating ducks and geese, not local chickadees. 

And would these pens be totally enclosed in screen so no local bird or disease transmitting mosquitoes can get in? Lots of poultry diseases are transmitted other than having the birds on ground that other birds have used.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Have you had chickens foraging in the area before without issues? Do you live where Avian Flu has been found? Have your birds ever shown signs of communicable diseases?

My uninformed question is, can you overthink this?
I know right?? I'm sure I'm overthinking but I'd just die if I lost all my Ams! The ones I dont even have yet! lol! No, it would be a run with a coop attached. No screens....due to the large number of preditors & hawks on our land they are not allowed out...it would be like throwing the dog a bone every morning! I've never seen any ducks around, mostly sparrows & the likes. And to my knowledge its always been chicken free grounds.

I'm in central Florida and would live to add a true Ameraucana (blue eggs) to my small flock. I currently have an EE that lays green eggs, a RIR that isn't laying yet and a game chicken I rescued from a bad situation. She has to be kept seperately as she doesnt play nice, but she lays well... pretty little buff colored eggs. Any ideas on where I can get a true Ameraucana? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm in central Florida and would live to add a true Ameraucana (blue eggs) to my small flock. I currently have an EE that lays green eggs, a RIR that isn't laying yet and a game chicken I rescued from a bad situation. She has to be kept seperately as she doesnt play nice, but she lays well... pretty little buff colored eggs. Any ideas on where I can get a true Ameraucana? Thanks.

Check the American Poultry Association site and go to the Poultry Show Central.com link. Once there go to "Find it" link to find breeders. Easier than that, go to the Ameraucana Breeders Club site and go to the breeders list link. You can sort breeders by state. There are reputable breeders on this site, too. Check with:
@scflock
@samouw
@FowlStuff

just to name a few .

Last edited:
Check out the Ameraucana Directory.
http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/DnLd/Directory.pdf

Back
Top Bottom