Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi guys!
I just got my first ameracauna chick today and I was hoping to find out the type he/she is and what it will look like when it grows up! I found a stock photo that looks exactly like the one I have because she/he won't stay still for a good shot
Hi guys!
I just got my first ameracauna chick today and I was hoping to find out the type he/she is and what it will look like when it grows up! I found a stock photo that looks exactly like the one I have because she/he won't stay still for a good shot

Where did you get your baby from?

I believe that's an Easter Egger chick not a true Ameraucana. I'm not familiar with silvers but it doesn't look Ameraucana. Sorry.

This seems to be a common thing, I'm glad I asked. I got that one from the feed store that my in-laws work at. I'll be sure to let them know they have a labeling problem... I've never seen those colors before which is why I was a bit skeptical

This seems to be a common thing, I'm glad I asked. I got that one from the feed store that my in-laws work at. I'll be sure to let them know they have a labeling problem... I've never seen those colors before which is why I was a bit skeptical

Feed stores and hatcheries are very misleading. Pure Ameraucanas must conform to a breed standard. They must breed true atleast 50% of the time meaning you know what your gonna get! They have dark shanks, (legs) and pea combs. They only come in certain color varieties. Usually they mis spell Ameraucana also. There is one hatchery now that is supposedly offering blue Ameraucanas but their the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. Your chick is adorable! There's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers
1f49b.png
. I found out the exact same way as you, I bought 6 from Orschelns last fall. Then learned differently from here! Sorry, I know it's disappointing. There's a great Easter Egger thread on this site also!

Feed stores and hatcheries are very misleading. Pure Ameraucanas must conform to a breed standard. They must breed true atleast 50% of the time meaning you know what your gonna get! They have dark shanks, (legs) and pea combs. They only come in certain color varieties. Usually they mis spell Ameraucana also. There is one hatchery now that is supposedly offering blue Ameraucanas but their the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. Your chick is adorable! There's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers
1f49b.png
. I found out the exact same way as you, I bought 6 from Orschelns last fall. Then learned differently from here! Sorry, I know it's disappointing. There's a great Easter Egger thread on this site also!
thanks! I'm not sad, I love the way my baby looks and the way she gets along with the rest of my starter flock. I'm just excited to learn more about his or her breed and what to expect. Thanks for all the help! :)

Last edited:

thanks! I'm not sad, I love the way my baby looks and the way she gets along with the rest of my starter flock. I'm just excited to learn more about his or her breed and what to expect. Thanks for all the help! :)[/quote}
Easter Eggers are awesome!!! I have 3
1f49b.png
but remember....EEs are not a specific breed. True Ameraucanas always carry the blue egg gene. I am sorry, I have been distracted, Easter Eggers carry the blue egg gene also.
You can find out more info at the Ameraucana Breeder's Club and the Ameraucana Alliance as well.

Last edited:
thanks! I'm not sad, I love the way my baby looks and the way she gets along with the rest of my starter flock. I'm just excited to learn more about his or her breed and what to expect. Thanks for all the help!
smile.png

It does resemble the stock photos of silver ameraucana chicks. It would be unusual to find one, especially a silver, in a feed store though. When it's full grown compare it to adult photos and keep us posted!

No, I don't have a mixed flock. Your little Silkie just proves once again, size doesn't matter! Bantams have that reputation too.
It's too bad you don't have a friend the Ameraucana can go to a new home with. It will be stressful for her and she is very likely to be a loner there too.
I wish both our bantams had that reputation then the Amer wouldn't be getting away w/ hassling the littlest Silkie. But unfortunately if a 5-lb bird decides to be aggressive the 2-lb bantams get the short end of the battle. On the farm Mom kept a separate pen for her one-breed hens (Babcock Leghorns) that were on the aggressive side and when put together they were evenly matched to duke it out and settled down. I don't have that option in our small cottage yard. Our oldest Silkie is so mellow and dainty we never expected her to step in and subdue the bigger Amer. However the Amer continues harassing the smaller Breda and the littlest Silkie. Flock politics is natural but when injurious we felt it right to take action. The Amer is not calming down. Before her behavior becomes contagious with the flock we found her a very good home w/friends we've known before they got their own 2 chickens - EEs. Choices are hard to make with pets. And as for being a loner - our Amer has been that way even when she arrived as a pullet with her sister which we lost early on. We thought it best to re-home her in a flock of similar breeds (2 EEs) of the same size/weight. Yes, it will be a little stressful for her to merge with other birds but we can't have her - just one bird - stressing the majority of our 3 other birds. Our friends have a son that feeds and sits with their hens so she will love that treatment plus we can always visit. It was a hard choice for us since she's been laying the prettiest light blue eggs 3x/weekly! We've used methods w/ other aggressive/vicious behavior chickens like isolation, etc, but once back w/ the flock the behavior gradually returned so re-homing's been our best option. Over the years we've had pi*sy behavior from hens during molt, broodiness, momma raising chicks, etc, but our experience w/ 3 previous aggressive hens in the past that went really bonkers we found best to re-home. Thank you so much for your insight and help though -- they're all things we've already considered over and over in our minds.

Hi guys!
When posting a photo or quote from someone else you should give credit to the person, site, book etc. that it came from.
There are photos of all the recognized varieties of Ameraucanas on the club's Photos page (http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html) for comparison and here is one of some day-old large fowl silver Ameraucana chicks.

Back
Top Bottom