Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

That isn't correct. You can get splash from two blue parents, along with blue and even wheaten.
That was my point. If no wheaten chicks were produced, then the pairing must have been splash wheaten to blue wheaten. Splash to splash would have produced only splash chicks, and two blue parents would have produced at least one or two wheaten chicks. It is clear that the rooster is Blue, not Splash. Therefore, the hen must be Splash. It is the only possibility, given the offspring.

There are a couple babies that look like the momma I just don't think they got in the picture. These are around 2 months old. How much should I ask for these birds? I'm so new to all this.

Last edited:
This is what is not correct. Splash have white in their tails, it's not just a bird that you cannot see any color in the tail.
But that white through the tail is really hard to see, especially in photos, or to an untrained eye. That, to me, means not noticeable. Doesn't mean that the patterning isn't there, just that it isn't easily seen or noticed.
Am I making sense to you now?

Just because you can't see color in the tail, it does not indicate the color of the bird. Lots of blue wheatens and wheatens have little to no color in the tail.

The best way to properly determine color of a female if you are having difficulties is to open up the wing and see the triangle of color on the top.

Just because you can't see color in the tail, it does not indicate the color of the bird. Lots of blue wheatens and wheatens have little to no color in the tail.

The best way to properly determine color of a female if you are having difficulties is to open up the wing and see the triangle of color on the top.
Unfortunately, you can't do that with photographs...

Pic 2, 3, and 4 all look like cockerels.  You got more than you wished for.
First one is your only pullet, lol... how many boys did you want? :D ;)

Pic 2, 3, and 4 all look like cockerels.  You got more than you wished for.
Thanks! Early on everybody thought pullets. If I have a blue and a black I am very happy. I am just using them over my hatchery RIR for green egg layers :)
I have heritage RIR for pures

So, 4 weeks ago my broody hatched a little blue ameraucauna chick. How old should it be before I post pics to find out if little Charlie is Charles or Charlotte?

Back
Top Bottom