Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Cora laid me a beautiful egg today!! A wonderful start to the New Year. It's much darker than any of her others, which is exciting! I love her eggs so much! Also, I've got 6 of her eggs in the bator, just for fun, and it looks like at least one of them is fertile!! They'll be EEs because the only cockerel that's been mating them is my wheaten boy, Hugo, but I'm excited to hatch out some of my own babies! I'll have to post pics of her egg later from my phone, since I forgot to put them on my computer. There's two sets of the eggs in the bator now...6 (3 SLW and 3 of Cora's) that are due to hatch on the 16th, and 6 (also 3 SLW and 3 of Cora's) that are due the 22nd (I set them at midnight last night
wink.png
) EXCITING!!!

Here's some update pics of my Ams from a couple days ago...
Hugo:

Cora:

Nora, the normally photogenic little girl, was too busy trying to find bugs to pose for me:

Calliope (Callie), my 18 week old blue wheaten girl. I can't wait for her eggs!!!

Aaaaaand Athos, my spastic little 21 week old blue cockerel, was being too crazy for me to get any pics that show him as anything other than a pretty blue blur, so I'll try and take some of him tomorrow. I'll post the egg pics here in a sec!! Hope you all enjoy my eye candy!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Lavender should never be bred with BBS lines. Makes breeding in future generations a real headache trying to figure which birds are lavender and which are Blue or Splash. And you could end up with birds that are both. Not good.

My Lavender will only have black hens for this first year to improve feather quality the the Fg2 will be breed back to the Lavender to get back to the color. He will not be in with my BBS hens once he matures. I am building him and his 3 girls a place of their own for spring.

Ok, here's Cora's pretty egg. It's a really nice size, too:

Here it is next to her egg from yesterday. Today's is on the right. It's much darker:

Same two eggs. Better lighting:

Now all I need is for my other two Am girls to start laying. I'm hoping Callie has good color in her eggs. I'd heard the wheatens didn't have as much saturation in theirs. Are the wheaten and blue wheaten pullets a little smaller than BBS? Callie seems small for her age, and I was wondering if that's normal or not.

Rooster
Hen 1
Hen 2
Dose anyone know what hen 2s color pattern is I have found a few in that color pattern and I have one, I was also told that she won grand at our county fair. What is the pattern on the roo. and also hen 1 I plan to breed them as easter eggers until I find out what they are.

1 and 3 are Easter eggers . 2 looks to be self blue sometimes called lavender . #3 is often referred to as wild partridge but not partridge as in any standard breed . Very common EE color . #1 is does not match any standard color in any breed .

But 2 Is a self blue And can be shown as a pure americana or is a self blue EE. that may be the one that got grand because I was not really sure That the other one did. they must have meant the self ble and not the brown i carried them out at the same time.

The roo is a pure Americana but i'm guessing a cull because of his coloring.

Last edited:
But 2 Is a self blue And can be shown as a pure americana or is a self blue EE. that may be the one that got grand because I was not really sure That the other one did. they must have meant the self ble and not the brown i carried them out at the same time.

The roo is a pure Americana but i'm guessing a cull because of his coloring.

If they all have yellow foot pads then they're EE's... and EE's are often sold under the misspelling of Americana...

Btw, if these pics are recent, you might want to check his toes... looks like he might have torn his nails? Just wouldn't want that to get infected...

If they all have yellow foot pads then they're EE's... and EE's are often sold under the misspelling of Americana...

Btw, if these pics are recent, you might want to check his toes... looks like he might have torn his nails? Just wouldn't want that to get infected...

we clipped his toes and he flinched and got them a little short but he is okay now and the hens I'm not sure I will look tommorw when I get home I think only the brown one has yellow pads. Thank you for all the help

we clipped his toes and he flinched and got them a little short but he is okay now and the hens I'm not sure I will look tommorw when I get home I think only the brown one has yellow pads. Thank you for all the help

Does the self blue girl have willow (green) legs or are they slate? It looks to me like they might be willow. If that's the case, she's an EE. If they're slate, she may very well be an Ameraucana, although if they all came from the same place, you might not want to breed her to sell chicks as true Ameraucanas, because chances are she'd have some pretty radical hidden genes somewhere in there....They're all beautiful birds, though! I love your cockerel's coloring. Reminds me of my EE boy, Monty. He died this year...

Back
Top Bottom