Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Here is the lone survivor of the failed 'post office' fiasco-hatch. A very pretty black boy. Any input / criticisms welcome. Not the best pics, sorry.
22798_3_mo_am_cockerel.jpg

22798_dsc_2175.jpg

22798_dsc_2176.jpg

Should I keep him, or sell him? I've got 12 month old babies in blue, black and splash, so am certain to have at least one roo in the lot.

Has anyone got this marking on their Ameraucanas? The mottling seems to get more profuse every day. She is 7 weeks old.

51721_7-3-10_ribbeck_7w_056.jpg

51721_7-3-10_ribbeck_7w_057.jpg

Quote:
Is it a split? I think I have seen the mottling show up in other breeds lav projects. If you don't want her I'll take her
wink.png

To the best of my knowledge, she came from a black/blue pen. If she continues to develop this pattern, I might try to work on it. It may all disappear when she molts. For now she can just eat and grow.

Kansaseq, I wouldn't mind breeding her to a blue, but I think the three I hatched are girls.

Quote:
Is it a split? I think I have seen the mottling show up in other breeds lav projects. If you don't want her I'll take her
wink.png

To the best of my knowledge, she came from a black/blue pen. If she continues to develop this pattern, I might try to work on it. It may all disappear when she molts. For now she can just eat and grow.

Kansaseq, I wouldn't mind breeding her to a blue, but I think the three I hatched are girls.

MasonCreek farm has mottled Ameraucana and blues. Thought they had brown reds but I guess not.

Henry

Last edited:
smile.png
H Cammack ; Great subject . My experiance in buying Chicks from my local Nusury is you have no Idea what you are getting , Americanas or Easter-Eggers ? And the Nursury vender doesn't know either !!! Give us a good "Splane" on how to tell the difference please ? After they are grown as well . Do you sell hatching Egg's ? I for one would also like to se some input on the very hard to find Midget-White Turkeys . and then I have a new interest in TURKINS .... Asking too much , sorry , I'm just a simple Farmer !!! ....... , AlanB.

Quote:
Here is a good web page about Ameraucana, EE, and Araucana chickens. http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html Its basically all about the feather color and parentage of the birds. Some EE's look like white ameraucana or something else but there parents were EE's that still makes them EE's even if they carry the blue egg gene and appear like ameraucana. ALL hatcheries and local feed stores that I know of sell there EE or Mutt chicks as Araucana or Americana. Americanas are not a real breed of chickens just a mis spelling of Ameraucana and the "americana" are usually just EE's. Look at the standard pictures on the website I posted those are the accepted colors of Ameraucana anything outside of that isn't an Ameraucana. Even mixes between two Ameraucana varities are considered by many breeder to not be pure ameraucana they are EE's all though that is a controversial topic.

Henry

Last edited:
Quote:
Two days ago I posted the above photo and guesses. So I examined them again today and 100% all cockerals!!! The feathers are all coming in up their backs and they are all characterically cockeral, 4 wheatens, 1 blue wheaten and 1 splash. So much for statistics!
barnie.gif
he.gif

Did it turn out your #2 was definitely a cockeral? I have 3 that look like that and I was hoping they are females.

Back
Top Bottom